Weird Jira Things - Magic

Jousef May 3, 2021

Hey dear community!

We have a very interesting bug (maybe?) which I haven't seen before like this.

The premise of this weird thing happening is that we have a server instance running for more than 5000 Jira users and more than 100k Service Management customers. We just had a migration of a different instance and that caused some issues with custom fields.

We used a field with only one configuration/context in one or two screens. That field contained around 40 options. All sorted alphabetically by Jira. After the migration, some of the options were changed. What we did to get around this problem, we created a new context for that specific project we used it in before and recreated all of those 40 options.

Here it gets weird. When we add a new option to the list, we are unable to sort it in the existing list of options. It will always stay at the bottom. Now even stranger is that adding more and more options, we were able to sort within those new ones, but the "old" 40 always stayed in that order.

Any clue how this could happen?
My first guess was it is just a displaying error and already saved on the server. But even after re-indexing (which I think happens every few days or every weekend), the new option(s) would stay at the bottom.

I checked the options display name for any special characters and that's why it's not working but no. Definitely, no matter what the option is saying, it will never go up in the original list of options. I wonder if I'm missing anything.

I didn't start this as a question here because I think it's not really an issue, I'd rather like to understand what's happening in the background if anyone knows. What is your weirdest inexplicable thing in Jira that haunts you in the night (I hope nothing matters that much to you :D), that you just find so strange and never got an answer to it?

Have a great start into this week,
Jousef

PS: I might add new findings, new weird Jira stories when I remember them. :)

0 answers

Suggest an answer