Using affects version for Epics

Gooty July 16, 2019

Hi, 

In every version, we update issues with Fix version, suggesting the version in which we intend to release. 

But in these versions, there are some epics / stories that are half cooked [code present but goes into production as masked]. 

To track these items we intend to use Affects version field - when the epics / stories are brought into backlog and fix version to track the actual completion / release of them. 

But there has been severe resistance from some members arguing that Epics cannot be tagged with affects and fix version. 

I would like to know what is the intended use of these fields specifically for epics & is there a better approach to my problem. Sorry for the long question, appreciate your answers. 

Regards

Sam

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2019

Dear @Gooty ,

I can understand your members about introducing an affects version to epics. "affects", from my understanding, is more intended to be used for bugs.

Fixed version for epics: You could also rename this to "Released Versions". Just naming. But in most cases you cannot assign it to exactly one version as it is to huge to be within one release.

The half cooked is only an issue on story level. As long as a story is done-done, it can be released. The container epic will stay most times half-cooked.

You could introduce a custom version picker field named "Part of Released Version(s)" and avoid using "Fixed Version".

Anyhow, I recommend sharing the information, gathered with this thread, with your team mates and let them be part of the decision.

So long

Thomas

0 votes
Gooty July 17, 2019

Thank you for the quick reply Thomas. Appreciate it. 

Suggest an answer