Unable to set up Jira.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

I cannot understand how one goes about configuring Jira even at what should be the simplest level using the built-in features. In other words, I'm not down in the weeds trying to write scripts. I wanted to add a level of functionality to our business project by implementing the Epic issue type. That done, I created an issue in the Epic. It doesn't "link" up with the main Epic issue. As shown below, Issues in this epic is empty. Also, I am unable to show the related epic on the created issue screen with no easy way to make it visible.

Why is this confusing method of setting up this system so pervasive? I try to modify something in a project and suddenly I find I have modified some globally linked screen or whatever which affects every other project that uses it. There are no guardrails to keep you from screwing up stuff and no decent documentation to help.

I would like for someone to explain or point me to a better "tutorial" than what I've been able to find so far.

OK, rant over.

Jira Epic screen.gif

2 answers

1 vote
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Thanks, Edwin, I finally found the training location after I stumbled onto it from another post I was reading. I was fine until we started adding a lot of users and a bunch of projects none of which were set up correctly permission wise. That adds to the frustration of course. Hopefully, it will help.

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

Hello Danno,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with Jira. There are some free training videos that Atlassian offers that may help you configure everything. Please visit the site below for more info.

https://training.atlassian.com/free-training-catalog?_ga=2.106274499.1150530222.1579756198-930573636.1574053760

Hope this answers your questions

Suggest an answer