Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Time Tracking in Jira Software Cloud

We have a need for structured time tracking. We plan to bill down to the tertiary level: project>phase> high-level task.  I would love to get this in Jira so the team can log time without changing applications. Since our tasks in Jira are more granular, my hope is there is a way to add a time tracking code (associated with high-level task) to each Jira issue. It would also be nice to map the issue summary field to the time tracking application as the description or comment field. 

Our company is going with ebillity time tracker which has some zapier connections AND open API. There doesn't appear to be a marketplace cloud app. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or customizations they have completed in the past? Have you created custom fields for Jira issues? What's the workflow like for time tracking at your company? 

3 comments

Jacob Vu Community Leader Sep 22, 2021

Hi @Nikki Leonard

If you're fine with a manual way to track time, there's a 'time tracking' field that you can use. It's inherent to each task, story, etc. so people can log work into the ticket. This is a manual process so people will need to do this manually per task/story/epic.

Hope this helps.

Jacob

Thanks, Jacob. Yes we've demoed the out of the box feature but we needed a way to go to the tertiary level of project but no need to see each individual task. I believe there was a lot of additional set up required as we wanted to essential track by phase but phases in our case dont line up with epic or the other issue hierarchy. 

Also need a way to view the data by user and with a $ amount associated. :/

We looked into the Toggl Track x JIRA integration but the beta isn't up to scratch yet

Like Theofani Samuel likes this

I'm agree also with Toggl Track!

Yes we were kind of advocating for toggl but have selected ebillity for its integration with our accounting software. 

I also agree with  Toggl Track!

Like Nikki Leonard likes this

We selected tempo in the marketplace and it is actually really nice. It auto-syncs to the estimate field so we can do quick estimates and remaining time based on actual billed time within the task detail view. 

Additionally the reporting is awesome! We can make teams, accounts, etc. Can add additional permissions as well. 

There are definite quirks like the inability to change "worklog" - a customized dropdown like a label that lives in tempo - by project. But overall it has been great. 

I had never heard of it so I've been pleasantly surprised. 

Like carolyn french likes this

As an update, we selected tempo time tracking. I find this highly configurable and it meets most of our needs once we added some custom work attributes. 

It auto-syncs and populates the estimate fields in Jira. 

Like carolyn french likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

235 views 2 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you