Time Tracking in Jira Software Cloud

Nikki Leonard September 22, 2021

We have a need for structured time tracking. We plan to bill down to the tertiary level: project>phase> high-level task.  I would love to get this in Jira so the team can log time without changing applications. Since our tasks in Jira are more granular, my hope is there is a way to add a time tracking code (associated with high-level task) to each Jira issue. It would also be nice to map the issue summary field to the time tracking application as the description or comment field. 

Our company is going with ebillity time tracker which has some zapier connections AND open API. There doesn't appear to be a marketplace cloud app. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or customizations they have completed in the past? Have you created custom fields for Jira issues? What's the workflow like for time tracking at your company? 

8 answers

1 vote
Nikki Leonard March 1, 2022

We selected tempo in the marketplace and it is actually really nice. It auto-syncs to the estimate field so we can do quick estimates and remaining time based on actual billed time within the task detail view. 

Additionally the reporting is awesome! We can make teams, accounts, etc. Can add additional permissions as well. 

There are definite quirks like the inability to change "worklog" - a customized dropdown like a label that lives in tempo - by project. But overall it has been great. 

I had never heard of it so I've been pleasantly surprised. 

1 vote
Miron Ivano _Timescale_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 22, 2022

I also agree with  Toggl Track!

1 vote
Nikki Leonard January 21, 2022

As an update, we selected tempo time tracking. I find this highly configurable and it meets most of our needs once we added some custom work attributes. 

It auto-syncs and populates the estimate fields in Jira. 

1 vote
Domi September 22, 2021

We looked into the Toggl Track x JIRA integration but the beta isn't up to scratch yet

0 votes
Nikki Leonard September 23, 2021

Thanks, Jacob. Yes we've demoed the out of the box feature but we needed a way to go to the tertiary level of project but no need to see each individual task. I believe there was a lot of additional set up required as we wanted to essential track by phase but phases in our case dont line up with epic or the other issue hierarchy. 

Also need a way to view the data by user and with a $ amount associated. :/

0 votes
Nikki Leonard September 23, 2021

Yes we were kind of advocating for toggl but have selected ebillity for its integration with our accounting software. 

0 votes
Theofani Samuel September 23, 2021

I'm agree also with Toggl Track!

0 votes
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2021

Hi @Nikki Leonard

If you're fine with a manual way to track time, there's a 'time tracking' field that you can use. It's inherent to each task, story, etc. so people can log work into the ticket. This is a manual process so people will need to do this manually per task/story/epic.

Hope this helps.

Jacob

Suggest an answer