Sum of subtask hours and worklogs on burndown

Sachin P July 28, 2020

I have created 4 subtask of 10 hrs under one main task.  These 40hrs are not gettng shown under burndown chart.  

Do i have to enter sum of subtask under main task estimations?

Then how work logged under subtask get deducted from main task?

Burndown is not looking correct if mail task hours are not entered.

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2020

Burn-down is something that measures progress on delivery of what you committed to doing during a sprint.  In scrum, you commit to doing stories, sub-tasks are not mentioned by it.  When you use them in scrum, they're a tool for the team to help break up stories into pieces for various reasons (several developers so different assignees, different sub-systems, types of work, and so-on).  The sub-tasks are completely irrelevant to whether a commitment is met.  You burn-down on the story, not bits of it.

So, the short story is that you do not do (scrum/burn-down) estimates on sub-tasks. 

There's no roll-ing up or other accumulation schemes implemented in Jira (and most of the ones people decide to design and implement don't work either)

If you want to estimate in hours, and reference sub-tasks, then, without any code, you have three options:

1. Scrum estimate set to a custom field for "hours", and use the built-in time tracking for the sub-tasks (there is a roll-up display of these in plain Jira, which is why I put this option first). 
  2. Scrum estimate set to use the built-in time tracking, but sub-tasks have an hour field.
  3. Scrum estimate to a custom field for "scrum hours" and sub-tasks set to a custom field for hours

All of these will require you to manually copy hours between the two types of field.

0 votes
Sachin P July 29, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for prompt help .will try this and let u know

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2020

For both 1 and 2, create a custom field for "hours", making it a simple number field

For approach 1:

• Add hours to issues at the story level, but leave it off sub-tasks. 
  • Add original estimate (time tracking field) to sub-tasks.  (Optional on stories)
  • Set the Scrum estimate statistic to "hours" and estimate those.  Use the sub-task time estimates to inform those if you want

For approach 2

• Add hours to issues at the sub-task level (optional on stories
  • Add original estimate (time tracking field) to stories, but leave it off sub-tasks
  • Set the Scrum estimate statistic to "original estimate" and estimate those.  Use the sub-task hours to inform those if you want
0 votes
Sachin P July 28, 2020

Thanks for reply  @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- . Will you please help me how can I implement point 1 or 2 in Jira Cloud.?

Suggest an answer