Sub key values setup in the Custom field

Chandrasekhar V L June 12, 2018

Hi Team,

Is there any chance to setup a sub key values for the options values in a particular custom field.

For Example, we has setup a screen to select any one of the option values (Closed with Validation or Closed without Validation)in the transition moving to closed status. We want to setup a sub key values(Deferred, Rejected, Duplicate, Non reproducible) for the option who selected the closed without validation values while changing to the closed status.

Kindly, please suggest if there is any change to apply the above setup.

Thanks,

Chandra.

7 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2018

In the UI, there's no way to change a field type. 

You can do it in the database in some cases, if you are incredibly careful, and there are only certain types that can be changed between with that method (e.g. you can convert a single-select to a multi-select, radio or multi-check-box, but not text, date, number, etc).  System fields cannot be changed.

A safer, better option is migrate rather than change - create a new field of the desired type and then write a script that can reformat any existing values into the right shape and populate the new field with it.  Then delete the old field.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2018

I am sorry, my comment was probably easy to read as very grumpy.  I did not mean it to be.

0 votes
Chandrasekhar V L June 13, 2018

This works thank you. Also, Is there any option to change the field type of already existed custom field.

0 votes

Sorry for that 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

I think you want a "cascading select" field.  This gives you two drop-downs, with the options in the second one being determined by the selected option in the first.

This will not help you with the system "resolution" field, as that is a simple flat list.   But you could use it instead of resolution (hide the system one, but still set it invisibly to the users so all the reports work).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

Give us a chance, almost all of us here are volunteers, and we have things like paid work, sleep and families that take us away from it.

0 votes

Expecting Reply pls.

Suggest an answer