Statuses / Columns - best practices?

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Hello, last few month i'm trying to move my team from Trello to Jira products.

At first, i tried to reproduce our Trello's Kanban board with similar flow, then realized - Jira have so many options and maybe there is a better way to make simple, clear and clean development flow?

Currently i have this one:
Software Simplified Workflow for Project CT - Jira (1).png

It worked OK for Trello, since there is no much tools to indicate or track things. But in Jira there is 2 stages which i dont like: Ready for review and Ready for testing.

Both are sort of a backlog for teams which make a testing and a review. At the same time statuses 'In review' and 'in test' indicate to everyone else in a company what a tester or a reviewer is actually working on something right now.

Maybe Jira offers a tool to keep 1 column/status for each activity?
1. The tasks needed to check (scope or a backlog)
2. The tasks someone working on right now.

Both activities cant be in a separate boards/projects, as there are managers who need to see whole picture of a development. I also need to collect the data how well reviewing and testing going, they could bottleneck whole production and i want to understand earlier do i need to add more people or change processes within those 2 departments.

How you guys handle those stages? Plz share your wisdom =)

6 answers

0 votes
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

@Daniel Eberswell, that's just one way, or attempt to solve the puzzle. But i wanted to hear how people solved similar issues, not vertical status move, but reduction of development stages while maintaining clear visibility for all team members on 'what's going on.

It will work just like on a picture in my original post, but before final project setup i wanted to make sure i've done it right way and there are no alternatives.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2020

@Alexeyah yes, you are right - for changing status this won't work. Just for reorder.
This is a very long running discussion with no solution as per now.

0 votes
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2020

@Daniel Ebersif you move a card within 1 column up and down, you cant change it's status, only it's order in a list. Ravi suggestion was to add 2 statuses to a single column.

If you move CT-8, CT-6 or CT-10 with a status 'Ready for testing' lower in a column 'In review' (where they currently are) it wont change their status to 'In Review'
CT board - Projects - Jira - Mozilla Firefox 2020-.png

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2020

What do you exactly mean by 2)?

Moving up and down cards by the means of sorting/rearranging them is perfectly possible as per today:

grafik.png

0 votes
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2020

Hey @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 
If i understood you correctly, unfortunately that doesn't work because of 2 things:
1. You cant determine which out of those 3 tasks are in which stage, unless you add extra information about status directly to the card (which makes card bigger and not quite visible).
CT board - Agile Board - Jira - Mozilla Firefox 20 (4).jpg
2. Most important, you can drag cards only left/right to change status, not up/down if they are within 1 column.
CT board - Agile Board - Jira - Mozilla Firefox 20 (6).pngCT board - Agile Board - Jira - Mozilla Firefox 20 (5).png

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2020

Hi @Alexey 

In Jira you can map multiple statuses to one column. So you can map your 8 statuses to just 3 or 4 columns in Jira Board configurations. Yes Jira has lot many options, if you don't like specific status then you can remove it from the workflow as long as you are Jira Administrator or ask your administrator.

Ravi

Suggest an answer