Splitting vs. Cloning

Aimee Palmer March 28, 2018

I would like folks' opinions on situations when splitting an issue is better than cloning and vice versa.  What happens to the sprint report and team velocity in each instance?  thanks!

3 comments

Comment

Matt Robertson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

Hi Aimee,

We introduced splitting because cloning was really heavy weight and in planning meetings we often wanted to break stories into smaller pieces.   Under the hood splitting does an issue clone but it changes the summary and estimates to what you provide instead of what was in the original issue.

For the reports the cloned issue will have to same estimates (time spent, story points, whatever you're using) as the original issue.  Split issues will have the new estimates you put in.  Both split issues and cloned issues should show up in the same sprints and epics as the original issue.

Like # people like this
Aimee Palmer March 29, 2018

i like the concept of splitting vs. cloning but how do we ensure all the attachments and notes move with it? by checking 'include sprint values' or is that not an option.

my question on velocity is, if you split the issue and then mark the original issue as done, then the team will have those points in their velocity right?

thank you

Like Deleted user likes this
Matt Robertson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2018

When you split an issue the attachments and notes (we call them comments) don't get copied to the new issue. 

When you clone an issue you can check "Clone attachments" to move the attachments to the new issue, but there's no way to copy comments.

For velocity: Yep, when the original issue is marked as done the team will get those points included.

Eric Raymond October 2, 2019

@Matt Robertson And there are plans to fix this and carry over the important comments?

Matt Robertson
Atlassian Team
October 2, 2019

Hi @Eric Raymond,

We don't have any plans to make changes to this feature.

Eric Raymond October 3, 2019

This is sad.  There's so many parts of Jira that fail to cover common use cases  or work from one screen and are absent in another.  I know I'm venting in vain....

Like Rob J likes this
Gooty October 14, 2019

Hi, 

Can we split the issues that are from previous sprints or current sprints?

Like christine_stpierre likes this
christine_stpierre August 4, 2021

Apparently only from the backlog, not in the sprint board

Grayleen May 9, 2023

Can you split an issue if cloning is disabled?  If not; is there a workaround for splitting issues?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events