Service Desk Customers not able to create tickets in Jira Software

Madhu Reddy January 28, 2020

I have both Software & Service Desk Integrated with Same Url.

I want my customer to create tickets in both Software and Service Desk projects.

In Software if customer sends an email and it will be added on behalf of the default Reporter.

In Service Desk as a customer anyway.

But when the customers sends an email to Software project, It is not creating the ticket and simply staying in the email as Unread.

Could you please help me on this regard..Thanks in Advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

We need to be careful with language here.   Jira deliberately does not use "ticket" because it's a bad word (in English) to represent the concepts of what it is really trying to do.

So.  Jira is an issue tracker.  Issues live in projects.   Jira users can create issues (ok, permissions can control that, but that's the main reason Jira is there - Jira users creating and tracking issues)

When you add Service Desk, you get another layer, which is the request.  These have an issue behind them, and are created by customers.

The thing here is that Customers are not Jira users.  They are accounts that can only interact with Jira via the request.  They can not interact directly with issues.

So, your email handler is picking up emails from customers, seeing that they are customers, and ignoring them, because they are not Jira users.

You could try

• Adding them as Jira users
  • Changing the email handler such that it can create issues when the "reporter" is unknown (i.e. not a Jira user) and sticks a dummy reporter on them

Suggest an answer