Search strings that contain stop words

Trevor Robinson January 2, 2018

Can anyone enlighten me whether there is a workaround way to search for specific strings that contain stop words, such that the stop word is not treated as a stop word?

The Reserved Words section on this page gives the examples "VSX will crash" and "VSX will not crash"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/search-syntax-for-text-fields-764478343.html

If I search for "VSX will not crash", I expect the results will be strings that contain "VSX" or "crash", which is a lot broader than what I actually want.

How would I search for the specific string "VSX will not crash"?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

3 answers

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Did you see the "Note for Jira administrators" on the page?

It says, You can make Jira find issues based on the presence of these reserved words by changing the Indexing Language to Other (under Administration > System > General Configuration).

But I didn't test that and don't know, if this leads to other problems.

0 votes
Trevor Robinson January 2, 2018

Thanks Thomas, as far as you know, there is no workaround for that?

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2018

Hi Trevor,

as the linked page says, you can't search for the reserved word "not" - it is simply ignored by the index.

Suggest an answer