Scrum of Scrum - how to capture the data in Jira

Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Scrum of Scrum is happening in my project weekly once and my customer want to capture the data in Jira, please let me know any format or some useful tips 

5 answers

4 votes
Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

thanks all for sharing your ideas and thoughts let me explore on it..

2 votes
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2021

Hi Rajesh,

Sharing an existing community thread

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-does-Atlassian-recommend-that-we-do-Scrum-of-Scrums/qaq-p/154110

Here are my thoughts, to visualize work across multiple teams across multiple sprints for a single program/project, I would suggest to make use of Jira Advanced roadmap feature

Reference - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolio/advanced-roadmaps-for-jira-documentation-660734353.html

Hope this helps. 

1 vote
Edwin Rozie January 4, 2021

Hello @Rajesh Viswanathan,

There is a plugin in Jira that can you help support scrum of scrums in Jira : Ativo Programs for Jira

It shows per team a dashboard with:
- The issues and risks to be discussed at SOS (program) level
- The progress on features
- The cross-team dependencies
- Burn up chart for the period ("Program Increment")
- Forecasts for the current period

This way, the SOS can be done efficiently: progress is visually shown, one can focus the discussions on dependencies and risks / issues.

Data is set with the program planning screen and added as custom fields on features and stories.

It works best if you are using SAFe®(or a variant).

I've used it myself at my previous client, with very positive feedback from all SM and PO.

With kind regards,

Edwin Rozie

(Disclaimer: I work for Ativo. We are not affiliated with Scaled Agile, the providers of SAFe®)

1 vote
Adam Sterrie January 4, 2021

Hi Rajesh,

First, run your SoS meetings using the Confluence Meeting Notes blueprint.

Next, record all action items defined by your meeting using the Action Item functionality in the blueprint.

Then, view the Meeting note page and highlight each action item one by one and create a Jira ticket for each on (The Jira icon will appear next to the highlighted text of each action item to help you do this).

Edit each Jira ticket created above, adding assignee, due date and any other relevant information required to complete the action item.

Finally, update the meeting notes page for the SoS adding the Jira ticket reference to each Action Item (Ctrl-Shift-J). A "mentioned in" link to the Confluence page will now appear in each Jira ticket.

When each Jira ticket is closed, follow the "mentioned in" link to the Confluence page to tick the Action Item status.

If you organise all the SoS meeting pages under their own parent page, you can put a summary table of all outstanding Action Items on the parent page as well as a Jira query to list all the associated open Jira tickets.

You may also want to put a table of outstanding Action Items or associated Jira tickets from all previous meetings in a table at the start of your Meeting Notes to help run the meeting.

Voila!

P.S. A "Scrum of Scrums" is a bit of a contradiction regarding vanilla Agile since one of the pre-conditions is "small-scale". So if you need a SoS meeting, then that pre-condition no longer applies and you need to adapt your vanilla flavour to a hybrid (e.g. SAFe). I have experienced a number of projects that were too big to operate vanilla Agile but ignored that fact (they tried to run the SoS as a Scrum not as a proper meeting) and as a result eventually crashed and burned.

Katharina Simon November 8, 2022

you dont need to use SAFe if you wanna use Scrum of Scrums, why would you?

1 vote
Thorsten Kamann January 4, 2021

Hej Rajesh,

first of all you need to know what kind of data should be captured. If this data impediments or ideas of improvements, it is good enough to share them on a kanban board visible for all people in your project or product development. 

Additional you can capture of your SoS meeting in Confluence and link to relevant issues in Jira. 

BR

Thorsten

Suggest an answer