Scrum Project Backlog Contains Issues with Status with Status Other Than Backlog

Brooke Brown April 11, 2019

Why in the world would you configure the scrum style backlogs to include issues of all status's. The backlog is the BACKLOG and should not have items that are in progress or complete included. This makes backlog grooming and prioritization unnecessarily complex and arduous. I get that the strike though on the issue number is used to indicate the issue is done, but issues that are complete or in progress should not be cluttering the backlog. Applying a filter does not work, because filters apply to all views not just the display in the backlog.

Also. a more minor issue but still a nuisance, moving an issue that has a status of backlog from the backlog to a sprint as part of planning and refinement should automatically transition the issue to ready.

Is anyone else having these issues? And if so, have you found a simple solution? So far a script runner is the only solution we could find and that may or may not work. However, these are very basic Agile scrum concepts that should not require add-ons to enable.

3 answers

0 votes
Sanjana _Alacriz_ April 11, 2019

Hi @Brooke Brown  

Not sure what else could be the problem apart from the column mapping. I found this article, it might help you. Make sure to put the "Done" column in the last. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/closed-or-resolved-issues-are-appearing-in-the-scrum-board-backlog-779159078.html

Thanks,

Sanjana

0 votes
Brooke Brown April 11, 2019

Thanks, yes I did. It is not the board that is the problem. It is the backlog. My backlog shows 559 issues of which only 179 are true backlog status issues that need to be groomed and planned into a sprint. I need the backlog to only show true backlog issues. My current workaround is to send all of the tickets that are not actually in a backlog state to the bottom of the backlog, but its just messy and creates unnecessary noise.

0 votes
Sanjana _Alacriz_ April 11, 2019

Hi @Brooke Brown ,

Did you configure the columns of your board? The article below might help you with this.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-columns-764477997.html

Thanks,

Sanjana

Suggest an answer