Role Specific Time estimation for each tickets

Madhu mullangi August 24, 2021

Can we add Role Specific Time estimation for each Jira ticket ?

Let's say we have a ticket with key TEST-100.

We would like to add time estimation on a role basis, Developers should spend 5 hours and PM's - 2 hours and TL's - 3 hours.

Is this possible in Jira, Any addon's supports this functionality ?

Thanks in Advance

Madhu

2 answers

0 votes
Anton _Tech-5_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2021

Hi @Madhu mullangi 

Such an approach is not popular, but doable with Jira's flexibility. 

The main problem is that Jira custom fields don't support Time format, only standard fields do. So the workaround would be to sum 3 numeric custom fields to the Original estimate. 

To do so, I'd recommend the following: 

1. In Jira Settings/Issues/Time tracking change 'Default unit for time tracking' to hours or days because minutes won't look great in numeric fields. 

2. Create 3 numeric custom fields. I'd recommend using default time units in the name, like "Devs estimate, hours"

3. Set up an automation rule to sum up the 3 custom fields to the Original estimate. 

Also, I recommend using Magic Estimations app for both time or numeric estimates.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Have you considered using Sub-tasks for the work assigned to each of these Roles? Time estimates (and work logged) at the sub-task level can be rolled up to the parent issue level.

Alternately you could look at adding custom fields to track the multiple time estimates.

There was a change request for this feature with Atlassian has chosen not to implement

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-872

You can find more posts on this topic by searching

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software/ct-p/jira-software

for "jira multiple time estimates"

Suggest an answer