Restrict User Access to one Project

Ilyes Hachani February 9, 2018

I read through other discussions and followed this video still when I login the user can see all the projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdVNpgG34M&feature=youtu.be

What I want is to have my internal users access to all projects and have clients access their respective projects only.

4 answers

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi Ilyes,

You'll need to take a look at JIRA's Global Permissions which are being used to add certain groups to the project role of every newly created project.

You might need to go through all your projects and remove the jira-users group (or any other group containing the external users) from the project roles. Please make sure to add the internal-users group instead to avoid locking internal users out of their projects.

Best,

Maarten

0 votes
Ilyes Hachani February 12, 2018

I created a group called ExtCompany and a role called ExtCompanies.

Then I allowed project browsing on the new project to the ExtCompanies Role.

After that, I added the group ExtCompany with the role ExtCompanies and it worked.

My problem now is the default settings allow the user to do everything so I will need to restrict that.

Also, I created a group for internal users and assigned them to the project with the Developer role. How can I make sure that internal users are always added to a new project as Developer? Thanks

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2018

Hi Ilyes,

The way we've set it up at De Persgroep is we have two main groups:

• persgroep-users (containing all internal users)
  • external-users (containing all external users)

In our Global Permissions we've added the group "persgroep-users" to the Developer and User project role. This way, all newly created projects will be available for everyone within the group "persgroep-users". Others won't.

We usually make a group per external party fe.: "EXT Atlassian" could contain all external user from the company Atlassian. You can then add this group to a User or Developer role in a specific project which will only allow them to view that particular project.

Please also make sure that the general groups like jira-users or any other group you use to grant JIRA access to user isn't configured for a particular role in the Global Permissions.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

0 votes
Victor Florin Pana February 9, 2018

You haven't configured something right.

First of all check the Permission scheme associated with those project and see who has Browse rights. Afterwards check the projects (Users & Roles section) and ensure that the users who should not be seeing the project is not in a group or directly added to a role which permits him to view the project.

Also you can use the permission helper to verify his Browse rights.

Suggest an answer