Resolution editing - Workaround using a screen in the workflow transition

Greg Williams August 15, 2022

My company is using Jira Cloud. I was troubleshooting an issue earlier where some users were getting their "Resolution" field set to "Done" when a ticket was initially created in their project. 

I discovered that someone else with admin added the "Resolution" as a field when creating a ticket. Why you'd need to have a "Resolution" on a newly-created ticket is beyond me, but it got me to thinking further about editing the "Resolution" field: Why not create a Screen on the transition to a "Done" state so that it prompts you to enter the Resolution? I looked online to confirm my suspicions on if this was possible but nothing came up, so when I tested in my sandbox, I was pleased to see I had successfully stumbled upon a solution I have been asked about several times in the past by my users...

Here's what I did:

1. Create a new screen (https://<DOMAIN>.atlassian.net/jira/settings/issues/screens and click on "Add screen". I called mine, "Set the Resolution")
  2. Locate the new screen and click the 3 dots and go to "Configure
    Resolution Screen - 2.png
  3. Add "Resolution" to the list of available fields. Other fields are optional but just "Resolution" is all that is needed
    Resolution Screen - 1.png
  4. Go into the workflow for your project and edit it
  5. Select the transition line for the "Done" status you have in your workflow, then click "Edit" over to the right
    Snag_1a27c399.png
  6. Search for the Screen you just created and click "Save" when ready
    Resolution Screen - 4.png
  7. Publish your draft when completed
  8. Create/edit an existing ticket and when moving into the "Done" state you have set in your workflow, a popup should now appear with the option to set the Resolution (and Comment)...and yes, I know we have a lot of "Resolution" options...I'M WORKING ON IT!!!
    Resolution Screen - 5.png

"BUT WAIT!" you may argue, "What about when transitioning BACK into an active status?"... it appears that a Post Function to clear the Resolution when transitioning to a status other than "Done" or similar category will probably be your best solution, but this is a way to allow your users to CHOOSE the Resolution without it being hard-coded into a Post Function (for those, like in my tenant, that have a LOT of Resolution options!)

I'm sure I'll be flooded with links to this workaround that I didn't see, but I did search for it prior to posting. I checked the Community and Support pages and Google. I didn't use Bing because...really???

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2023

Hi @Greg Williams 

It's awesome to see you've found a great new improvement for your users!

You mention in Step 8 that you have a lot of resolutions - did you know you can limit the resolutions shown per Workflow?

---

You can do this using Workflow Properties  - an example of doing this is...

• Go to your Workflow, and edit it
  • Select the transition to Done
  • From the pop-up menu, select Properties
  • Enter these details...
    • Key = jira.field.resolution.include
    • Value = <Resolution IDs> - eg. 1,2,3,10001,10002
  • Press Add, then Publish the Workflow

---

A few notes on the above...

• This will limit the resolutions to those you choose to include
  • You can also use jira.field.resolution.exclude, to exclude resolutions and leave the rest of the list available
  • Resolution IDs can be accessed via the Resolution list in the Platform's Settings - to access these:
    • Go to Settings > Issues
    • Select Resolutions from the left-hand menu
    • Edit a Resolution
    • The ID is in the URL - eg. ?id=10123

---

For more information on Workflow Properties, check out this help page: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-workflow-properties/

Ste

Suggest an answer