Pure Research Project

Leonardo Miquelutti April 6, 2020

Dear community,

I use Jira + Confluence for Software Development.

Now I wish to use it to develop a Research Project within my academic group. This project comprises a well-established workflow. In general, those steps are: gathering information, deciding targets, processing data, decision-making, report generation etc.

Question is: which kind of project do you think most suits my needs?

I would guess that it is one of the following in the Picture. Sorry that it is in Portuguese, but those are the first three in the Business category.Anotação 2020-04-06 100216.png

10 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

Yes, because it is the one that is most flexible. It's more about functionality than about the names they stick on top of the types. 

1 vote
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

I would use the project management option, Leonardo! I haven't used Jira for any of my graduate work yet, but every single group project I do would fit well within that template.

I think this article outlines some good ideas:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/use-jira-core-for-project-management/

The tip that I think is most helpful would be using a different version for each project milestone. (I'm not sure what your deliverables are, but my business school projects usually require an early approval from our Prof, a draft, a presentation, and then a final paper. I would make each of those a different version.)

0 votes

Thanks @John Funk 

0 votes

Even for a Non-software Research Project developed in Academia?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

These types apply to the Business project type template. You need to change the Template from Business to Software. Then I would choose Kanban. 

0 votes
0 votes

Sorry I missed the image.Anotação 2020-04-06 100216.pngWhich one of those 3? I believe that in English they are:

• Project Management
  • Task Tracking
  • Process Control
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

I would start with that one and see if it meets your needs. You don't want to get down the path and figure out you need one that is more flexible and you have to start over. 

0 votes

I am intended to use a classic one. I just don't know which of those 3 I should choose.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

Hi Leonardo - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would use a Classic Software project - they have the most flexibility. But it really depends on how many changes/modifications you need.

Suggest an answer