Prompt for confirm when clicking Cancel button on comment

Babis Paravalos January 31, 2020

I think this used to exist in previous JIRA version. In the new UI, if you hit the cancel button the comment is removed. And because the Cancel button is very close to the Submit button, often you can miss click and instead of hitting the Submit button you click the Cancel button.

Imagine the frustration (and decrease in productivity) when you have spent 30 minutes to write a huge comment with tech details and formatting etc, and accidentally you hit the Cancel button instead of the Submit button.

I think that the user should be prompted to confirm if they want to cancel their comment, eg. some message like 'are you sure that you want to cancel the comment all text will be erased'.

I believe there will be  a few more people that this has happened to them at least once, and is not just me.

Please discuss this internally and apply this change, it's going to save many peoples' time from re writing accidentally deleted comments.

10 comments

Comment

Olivier Michel April 28, 2020

1 million times yes. no documentation for our server migration happening tonight. I am not writing that again.

Please add a prompt or even move the Cancel button across? They're so dam close.

Like # people like this
briank September 4, 2020

This had just happened to me. Was writing a comment but accidentally clicked cancel and had to rewrite the whole thing again. Would really like this UI issue to be fixed to avoid similar problems in the future.

Like # people like this
Ahmed Mutwakil January 11, 2021

I couldn't agree more with any of the above. Legitimately they're way too close. Why not simply put them on opposing sides? Or at least prompt when clicking cancel and there's any content. 

Like # people like this
Richard Quadling June 1, 2021

Why are changes just not continually saved? Either to local storage or the ticket on the live site.

Like # people like this
Babis Paravalos October 5, 2021

Hey Atlassian, has anyone noticed this discussion? Interested in changing this or not really?It shouldn't be such a hard change to implement!

If you have doubts, then maybe ask a UX expert to confirm that this is problematic and not very practical?

Like # people like this
Mike Cains February 28, 2022

I have lost far too many test reports to a slightly misplaced mouse click on the cancel button.

Lost a whole days work today, no way can I just make up all that data and replace everything I already typed out. 

Like Caroline Julien likes this
Jonathan Inglis May 3, 2022

I've just come here to see if I was the only one with this issue, quite clearly not. 

I mean there is some form of detection of unsaved content because it literally states 'unsaved changes' so why not add a confirmation on the cancel. 

Example.png

Basically now I am resorting to using Google Docs to type things up just on the off chance I hit 'cancel' by mistake. 

I mean.... it's pretty poor UX / UI

Like # people like this
JM Sánchez August 8, 2023

Just happened to me! terrible, terrible interface :/

Like # people like this
JM Sánchez August 8, 2023

A tip until/if ever Atlassian decides to fix this: type Cmd+Enter to save the comment without using the mouse. You can always delete the comment later if you mistakingly save it.

Like Richard Quadling likes this
Richard Quadling September 25, 2023

The human version of auto-save!

Gabor Peter February 20, 2024

Yes please, happened to me and my colleagues many times, a simple popup asking or an undo button to revert to edit would be great.

Eric Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

I just lost another lengthy comment because of this. Please please please make this standard. 'Cancel' is too close to 'Save'. Why is a Cancel button even needed? Just delete your post.

It's ironic Jira does an excellent job saving an incomplete post in case you accidentally navigate away, but will without hesitation delete a comment if you accidentally click 'Cancel'

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events