Project organization

pawelbah April 24, 2020

Hey,
I have a problem organizing projects / boards in JIRA. I can start with the structure. We have several teams: iOS, Android, Server-side, Web ... and many X, Y, Z projects.
- Each team works on many projects.
- Each team has its own project corresponding to the work in the department
- Each team has its own workflow
- Each team works in a different mode (scrum / kanban)

The problem is that you can't see projects X, Y, Z and what is happening in them because the tasks are scattered across teams.

Task delegation is also difficult because PM has to enter each team and assign tasks.

I have no idea how to solve it. Ok, I can create a separate project X and assign tasks to it - I don't see them on the team board. Ok, I can change the filter on the team table, but when the team works in SCRUM or has a different workflow there is a problem with the visibility of tasks or their transfer between statuses.

Do you have an idea how to solve it?

1 answer

1 vote
Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2020

Hey @pawelbah , let me tell you this, you are not alone mate. 

This was an answer I gave a while ago and you can find feedback from several people: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-you-best-organize-iOS-and-Android-development-of-the-same/qaq-p/592062?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_reply&utm_content=topic

To solve cross-cutting visibility there are many ways to do that. It depends on your preferences. 

In Atlassian we use a technique called "Project Central" (you can find videos + docs everywhere)

Project Central (PC) is a way to have external visibility and be able for each project to produce weekly updates. The good thing of this approach is the following:

* Each part of the org will put updates on each ticket adding Epics, Stories, pages, etc.

* Each team has its own workflows, processes, etc... But what is unique is how the communication bubbles up. :) 

* PC tickets can depend on other PC tickets: There is a parent ticket that is owned by the Major stakeholder (CTO, CEO, etc) and this PC Ticket depends on several others.

* Another great thing is that Teams that depend on others would watch this PC tickets and would be able to read the weekly updates and not needing to do exhausting catch-ups to be able to understand what is going on. 

We've been using this technique for quite a long time and it is quite effective. If you wanna level up your game you can have OKRs that depends on many PC tickets and PC tickets depending on independent projects. 

Overall what is important is to understand that each team should have autonomy, but you need to put certain standards on how the information flows or bubbles up in the company. 

I hope this helps :) 

Suggest an answer