Not able to create another type of Sub tasks

Bhumika Taunk March 28, 2022

I'm using the trial version, but need another sub-task category

5 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

Adding to what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- said...

In Jira natively there are only three layers to the issue hierachy.

At the top is Epics. Epics are unique in that you can't create addition issue of this type.

The next layer is where Nic said "Story". You can create multiple issues at this layer, such as Bug, Task, and others with names that suit your process. Issues at this layer can stand alone, or can be children of Epics. Issues at this level do not natively support having a parent/child relationship with each other. Issues at this level are "siblings". Issues at this layer are the items that you track in your agile board, and to which you add Story Points and/or time based effort estimates for burndown/up charts (if you are using those agile concepts).

The lowest layer is Subtasks. You can create multiple issues at this layer if you want to identify different types of Subtasks (though apparently not if you are working with a Team Managed project). Subtasks are not stand alone items, and are always linked to a parent in the middle or top layer.

Those are the layers where Jira natively can recognize a parent/child relationship.

If you want to add another layer, you can do it artificially using the generic issue Linking functionality available in Jira.

You could create a generic link between a Story and a Task (which are natively "siblings") and you could use the naming of that link relationship to state that the Story is a parent of the Task. However, Jira will not recognize that as a parent/child relationship. None of the native Jira functionality that pertains to parent/child relationships will apply to that link.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

You can't do this, Jira software only does Epic -> Story -> Sub-task.  

If you want layers above Epic, you will need to go up to premium to get Advanced Roadmaps, or buy one of the apps that provided more layers (Big Picture, Structure etc)

0 votes
Bhumika Taunk April 4, 2022

I have change the project to company managed,

I want to create a hierarchy of issues. i.e. Epic-> Story-> Task->Subtask, Kindly guide to create this in free version.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

My guess is that you are using a "team managed" project.  These only support one sub-task type at the moment.  (You can check the project management type by looking at the bottom of the left-hand panel)

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

Hello @Bhumika Taunk 

Welcome to the community.

What steps are you executing to try to do this? What problems/errors are you encountering?

Suggest an answer