New Development - Enhancements

Steve Jackson May 18, 2018

Hi there,

New to Jira but not New/Enhancement Development in Kanban system support.

Currently we are discussing efficiency in managing new dev efforts using Jira Project and Issues. We have one Project and place all issues in it. Some issues have a number of subtasks.

Enhancement efforts can range from a simple change to an existing form where 2 new data elements are needed. Or a completely new form with hundreds of elements, labels, database mods, and other components are required. All to a single existing server side IDE application.

Questions:

1. Should we add new/unique projects for each major 'new' dev effort and enter hundreds of 'issues' under it? Or continue to place all tasks, bugs, simple and complex changes in one single Project?

2. Should we be using Confluence for complex enhancements throughout the SDLC?

I'd like to use Kanban boards but with one single project - it is almost impossible to manage hundreds of tasks by type; bug, enhancement, operations, maintenance. Reports are not very helpful really since so many items are marked in progress. Some of these concerns have to do with 'housecleaning'. Editing and updating tickets to insure they are current and relevant.

Thoughts?

1 answer

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2018

I am not an expert - but I have a basic idea I'd say about some implementations ;

• New Dev Efforts can run under sprints, releases or components in one single project. Why not go for Scrum ?
  • Not quite sure about how you'd want to use Confluence .

Suggest an answer