Mass updates to Jira issues triggers 'last update' parameter, workarounds?

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Greetings, everyone reaches a point where he or she wants to add or remove a custom field in their projects.

There are tools and technics to do it gracefully and silently (almost).
Usually, I do such changes during out-of-work hours, temporary changing notification profile to complete silence and by using Bulk change w/o email notification.

Everything goes smooth except for one thing - the last update date parameter.

Where is the problem you might ask? Well, if you add or remove a custom field, it applied to all issues, including those which are done. This is logical, especially if you are migrating data, lets say you decided to move some popular labels to radio-button values.

But for me, it spoils two things: one is Kanban board - when in DONE status we get 10k complete issues that were recently updated. And I have to hide that status from the board for a week to reduce lag.

All-in-one - Agile Board - Jira — Mozilla Firefox .png

Another thing is some of my reports and dashboard widgets are based on 'updated' date, so managers could see the list of issues the team is working on, etc, so instead of the usual 20-30 issues, we're getting 15k! =)

Maybe there is a hidden tool for such mass changes?

1 answer

0 votes
Dan Lynch May 6, 2022

I have a similar scenario (except my instance is Data Center vs. Cloud); the Project Manger is concerned about Mods to the "Updated" value.

Most of what I've found so far comes down to "Bulk Update is not the way", i.e., use scripting, or importing from CSV, or some such. But the search continues.

Suggest an answer