List issues in other projects, which block issues in my project

David Booth August 25, 2021

This is my use case:

I am an engineering team lead. I manage a kanban-template project with multiple team members and dozens of issues. Some of those issues are blocked by issues in OTHER PROJECTS.

• I'd like to see a report/dashboard/filter/list of the issues that block any issue in MY project.
  • Ideally, i'd like to see the status of those blocker issues (IN THE LIST/Dashboard, etc), and
  • Even better, i'd like to see the Activity --> History of those issues.

To say it in another way: There are issues in other projects that block issues in my project. I'd like a report/dashboard/filter/list of those blocking issues - so that i know when they were updated, what their status is, and whether I should ping those issue owners to get them moving :-)

Is this possible? How are you doing it? What are you doing that might help me think about this or solve this in a different way?

Thanks for the help!

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 27, 2021

Hi @David Booth ,

With standard JQL you can only get a list of issues with links and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can simply search:

issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("project='Your project'", "is blocked by")

The query finds all issues that are blocking issues in your project. You can save the query as Jira filter and use it in your dashboard report and everywhere else in Jira.

Make sure to check out the documentation.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 25, 2021

Hi @David Booth 

For a ready made solution you can try out our plugin, to track progress of issues in your Links hierarchy on time estimates and at story points as well.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

You can filter issues based on your issue links (like blocks etc) and can track the progress/status of all the issues in the hierarchy.

You also get 4 other important functionalities within the same plugin, Epic Hierarchy (standard Jira Epic -> Story -> Subtask hierarchy) and Multiple Time in Status reports (to track your issues), Worklogs report based on multiple filter criteria, Timesheet screen to enter your time spent from a single place.

Please do take a look to see if it meets your requirement.

Links Hierarchy.png

0 votes
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Hi @David Booth 

With Jira you only search for linked issues to a specific issue not for the whole project . this why I recommend you to use a plugin like Scriptrunner for cloud where you can use custom jql function like this one 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = PMS", "blocks")

here you can find more informations 

Thanks in advance

Mohamed Adel

Suggest an answer