Limitations of Business Projects

Jordin September 22, 2022

Business projects are awesome but why are they so rigid! I would really like to create custom boards and other customizations to my Business Project. I am forced to use a Software project due to Business Project's lack of customization. I have tried to use the work arounds discussed in the community but it just creates confusion for my team who uses the tool as well as other teams that are adopting Jira.

5 answers

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2022

Hi @Jordin

another thing to consider is that many of the new features in JWM are also available for other project types (such as Jira Software projects) through the Atlassian Marketplace. E.g., this app seems like a good fit for a calendar view, and I myself work on an app that many customers use successfully as an alternative or extension to the list view (JXL for Jira). 

I understand that apps may mean additional administration effort and costs, but depending on your use cases, this may well be worth it.

Best,

Hannes

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's a somewhat cynical answer to this - business projects are supposed to be basic and simple so that when someone needs more power, they have to go buy Jira Software or Jira Service Manangement.

The less cynical answer is just that "business users don't need, or want, complicated processes and boards"

There's nothing wrong with using Software boards that point to business projects though, that's definitely a good way to go.

0 votes
Ken Rigby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 7, 2023

Jordin, I agree with this sentiment.  It's as if in Jira things like Agile backlogs and similar basic concepts aren't fundamentally applied outside of what Jira calls Software Development.  A simple start would be adding "Scrum" under "work management" when creating a project.  Not sure why the same Kanban and Scrum templates are NOT choices under "Work management" like it is under "Software Development".  In my consulting practice we apply Agile concepts mostly outside of software development.

A fast way to confuse someone is to see a label "Software Development" on a business project... but that seems to be the fastest template available.

0 votes
Matt Stahl-Coote November 11, 2022

I'd really like to see the flexibility of software projects but without Components, Releases etc. Some of the functionality in Business projects isn't available in Software projects e.g. calendar. There isn't a fully customisable, feature-rich project type yet, after all this time, which is a shame.

I'm from a software background but I build Jira projects for different business teams in my organisation. I agree with the idea that some business users want to keep things simple but I think that could be rewritten to say "they'd rather use simple functionality than learn how to properly customise Jira."

In my experience, they often don't want to keep things simple and have very specific business processes which I'll model in Jira for them. Basically, they want the moon on a stick as long as someone else is going to arrange it for them!

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2022

Business projects are still quite new, so make suggestions on what you would like to see and maybe others will like it as well so Atlassian will pick it up :)

Suggest an answer