Licensing - Allowing small groups (Projects) in a large organisation to access apps

andycaseASA February 21, 2021

Licensing - Allowing small groups (Projects) in a large organisation to access apps

The problem here is I work on and administer a Project. There are a number of apps that my project team would live to use. Unfortunately we cannot because if we do, we have to purchase licences for the entire organisation.

How can we utilise and purchase apps just for the users of our project team?

Is this a JIRA licensing issue or is it an issue for the app owners?

4 answers

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 22, 2021

This is one of the selling points of Atlassian Cloud Enterprise - the ability to have multiple instances with centralised user licensing. Check out this page for how the billing works but as you can see in the pricing FAQs - there is a cost associated with this and other enterprise features.

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Well it is a common question so lots of people would like this.

The problem is imho that it would depend on the addon. If these are manually triggered addons, larger apps (such as PPM apps) or visualizations then I can see the app owner be able to block access to only certain users.

If these are however automations or things like that, this would get very tricky and complicated to limit the usage. Then you might need to license it based on the amount of users in a project (which can change all the time)

So not an easy thing to change.

0 votes
andycaseASA February 21, 2021

Nic,

yes this exactly my point.

It acts as a deterrent for projects willing to buy the app but not prepared to fund an entire organisation.

II am sure its not beyond Atlassian to have licensing based on authorised groups.

There will only be an appetite for it if other Atlassian users also would like a structure that allows licences to be purchased for 'groups' rather than ALL JIRA users.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2021

Apps for Jira (and all Atlassian products) need to be licenced for everyone who has access to them.  If you add an app to Jira, then all your people can use it and hence it needs to be licenced at that level.   If you have 250 users in Jira, then you need to licence apps at 250, no matter if only 3 might use the app.

So:

>How can we utilise and purchase apps just for the users of our project team?

You do not, you need to use and purchase apps for all users

>Is this a JIRA licensing issue or is it an issue for the app owners?

This is a Jira licence thing, not the app authors or owners

Suggest an answer