Jira for Program Tracking

Ranjana Meena October 28, 2021

Hi Everyone,

I am working as a program manager at a startup and ideating on how to make the best use of Jira to track the overall program and milestones.

We are not a software company so my use case is bit different and JIRA needs customization. I was just wondering if and how is that possible.

1) Can we create multiple milestones(mini projects) within a project

2) Why can't we see the subtasks in the boards? I have many sub tasks to be added and would like to know the visibility on the boards

3) Can we link issues between projects?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

Hi Ranjana - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would say that you can do all of those things depending on the type of project you are creating and how much customization you need to do. 

1) You can create Epics in the project which can act as "mini projects)

2) You should be able to see the sub-tasks. What type of project are you using?

3) Yes, if you are not using the Team-managed projects because they are completely self contained. 

So, Jira Software Company-managed projects will give you the most flexibility - and you can use those even though you are not a software company. Jira Work Management projects will be the easiest to use but have less customization available. 

Suggest an answer