Jira + Scrum and the Backlog

Arthur June 11, 2019

I am terribly confused on how to use Jira's Backlog with Scrum.

It seems only logical to me that the when you click in the Backlog you would see the Product Backlog and above the Sprint Backlog. I also think that in my active Sprint I would have no column to the Product Backlog.

However, things that are in my Product Backlog Status will only show up in the Backlog if the Product Backlog maps a status to a column. This means that to use the Backlog I need to have a column that shows up in my active sprint. I don't understand why I would want this and why I am forced to use it this way.

If the Sprint is active, all that matters is the Sprint Backlog. I don't want a column for the product backlog, but I want the items that are in the product backlog status to show up in the backlog. How do I achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2019

Hi @Arthur 

If you configure the board you should then be able to change the filter (based on JQL). Use a filter to specify what issues you want in your board. Once that is done, for each column map your workflow statuses. In your case probably your main board's filter is excluding the issues to appear in the backlog.

Columns can also be deleted if you configure the board.

Ravi

Suggest an answer