JIRA setup within Development Agency

Alex September 11, 2019

Hi All,

We currently use JIRA Cloud to manage our internal and external projects and the whole setup feels rather complicated and I'm looking to validate or disprove my thoughts about our current setup.

Current Setup

• "Global" Project
    • Client Project 1
    • Client Project 2
    • Internal Project 1
    • Client Project 3
    • etc
  • The "Global" project board uses a Filter Query to show all the tickets within the different projects;
    • project in (Client1, Technical, Client2, Internal1, Internal2, etc) ORDER BY Rank ASC
  • There are 17 individual projects in JIRA at the moment, all being shown under "Global"

This setup feels very...clunky and at time, a little unmanageable when it comes to update workflows, permission & notifications etc and it feels like our whole setup could be streamlined and made much more efficient, somehow.

Any tips would be welcome, or advise from anyone that may work within an agency which runs multiple products/clients during a given sprint.

It does feel like I should be moving to a single project, but I'm a little unsure at the moment.

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

We don't use Next Gen either, mainly for the reason that we have so many shared schemes. That and we really don't want individuals outside of the Jira Admins changing things. :-)

0 votes
Alex September 16, 2019

Hi John,

The current setup works surprising well for us, and all I can think is, "If it ain't broke..." that being said, it just feels like we could be utilising it a whole lot better.

I've moved everything across to shared schemes and workflows which will make management a bit easier.

The next-gen project feature look pretty good, but with this current setup...the next-gen project possibly wouldn't work too well (I could be mistaken and need to read up more on it)

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Hi Alex,

What you have described should work. Are there specific things about it that don't allow you to work they way you want? 

I would think that you should be using shared schemes as much as possible - including for workflow. Maybe if you move to that if you are not already doing that, then it will help with maintenance. 

We do something similar with our CRM team - they have multiple projects supported by one Sprint board. 

Suggest an answer