JIRA Best practices (assigning epic to sprint while stories & tasks already assigned to sprint)

Vinay_Aggarwal June 20, 2019

Hi All,

Is there is documentation on best practices of JIRA – “Dos and Dont's”? I am facing difficulty of dealing with novices who are using JIRA in wrong way as per their convenience. Hence, I am looking for best practices documented somewhere which I can show to them? The specific best practice I am looking for – should someone assign sprint field to Epic when associated stories, tasks, bugs already assigned sprint fields? As a result, when JIRA calculates points as team commitment at the time of starting sprint, it counts epic estimates as well which doubles or triples the actual team commitment. Also, team’s sprint board starts showing all those epics which in unnecessary. Team does not work on epic directly but stories/tasks etc.

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2019

Hello,

As you wrote in your message, I consider that only issue with delivery should be assigned to a sprint, so stories, (analysis, technical, ...) tasks, tests, and so on should be assigned to a sprint.

For my part, I am only using Epics as a representation of a large set of functionalities. As I don't really have a Product Owner in my team, I am using Epic to "communicate" with the business : the PO (and the stakeholders) is able to see the progress of the requirements.

Suggest an answer