How to turn off or revert back to old JIRA interface, the new one is horrendous for usability.

Viewing page 6 of 7

151 answers

0 votes
Rich Stephens October 24, 2018

Agreed that many of us probably have quite a bit of skepticism but it was a good sign/start for me. I also told him that Atlassian should review this community page and offer their thoughts to let us know that they are listening. We'll see....

0 votes
Adrian Butter October 24, 2018

Nice to hear - but it has been so long now I would be very sceptical around anything changing.  The reality fro Atlassian is that JIRA is too popular, too complicated and too verbose.  It is slow, overly layered and tries to do everything to the result that it does it all badly.

The UI is just the crappy layer on top that tries to deal with the complexity below.  They need to re-write but probably either can't or won't.

Internally they are still at the launch party for this awful thing.. the energy to admit it is awful and start to put it back just in not there.

0 votes
Kim Hoang September 25, 2018

Hi Nic, you are right :)

we can I find the correct thread for it?

Yes, I can click back to the old view, but for every new ticket I created, the system would force me to use the new view  

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

Just to be clear, you are talking about the "new issue view", not the ui layout change which is the subject of this thread.

You can click on the old view you mention in the screenshot to go back to the old issue view.

0 votes
Christopher Hagar September 18, 2018

Truly insane.

0 votes
Adrian Butter September 13, 2018

Coming up for 12 months. Still awful, no changed made to improve

0 votes
Rolf Buchner August 28, 2018

This new UI is terrible. Too much negative space (gutters too wide), navigation is borked, quick filters being in a drop-down causes me to do more clicks for the same actions.

It looks like the design is geared towards mobile devices and/or small screens - is that really what users want and need? Not this user.

0 votes
Sandip Adhikari August 13, 2018

Cori Drew Apr 04, 2018

Thanks for information. It work for me.

0 votes
DRFavreau July 13, 2018

The logo should do it.  That's the only way I've found to get back to dashboards.

0 votes
Joshua Larwin July 13, 2018

I completely agree!!!!!!  Once you navigate in to anything it is like trying to follow a pirates treasure map to get back to something else.  Does anyone know how you are supposed to get back to be able to view dashboards once you already go in to look at your projects???

It looks like if you click the logo in the upper left hand corner it brings you back all they way out to top level menu.  It doesn't work sometimes though.

0 votes
Lars May 27, 2018

done

0 votes
Ian Main May 27, 2018

If you agree. Tell them on their Facebook page. (rate them there). If you're a Google Guide: rate/tell them there. If you vote, write to your MP (actually don't bother doing that).

0 votes
Ian Main May 27, 2018

I'm an Agile Coach / Agile Consultant and JIRA admin. I contract to large corporations and have a small amount of influence with the software they buy.

I know a lot about JIRA and it's helped me get contracts roles but this interface is so bad that I'm actually wondering if I need to take a hit (skills hit) and start looking for an alternative.

How can I promote this when it's now so clunky to use. When I use it I feel this pain inside  - kind of like jet lag when you're waiting for 4 hours in Dubai for a connecting flight and it hurts because you just want to get there.

Yes it does make me wonder what is happening inside Atlassian when they can go this far off the rails for months on end and then DECIDE TO STAY THERE!!!!

I literally couldn't work with this UI for much longer.

What alternative do people recommend?  I've tried Trello but wasn't impressed enough to consider it seriously. However, I need to do something...

0 votes
Lars May 27, 2018

I've been a JIRA admin for years, I've developed plugins for it. I've promoted it to my colleagues. And it was constantly improving. Until the 'new JIRA experience' has been introduced. I've tried to get used to it but it is a horrible UX and it is buggy as hell.

A few years ago I've visited a conference where an Atlassian employee announced that they are having a eat-your-own dog-food policy where they are using it on their own before releasing it to their customers. They are no longer doing it. I've raised a feature request to avoid major updates for cloud instances when I've noticed that they are still using the old layout themselves.

Something in terms of quality has dramatically deteriorated at Atlassian and I hope they will find back to the path they've followed in the past.

I have been promoting the introduction of Confluence to our workplace but I will stop it now and look for alternatives since I've lost a lot of trust to this company now.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2018

Nope, that ability was removed a few months back.

If it's bad enough (which I do think it is personally), your only option is to migrate to server, which will not be getting the new UI for a long time.

0 votes
Jakub Musialek May 26, 2018

It is bad, I can't used to it!, can you turn it off 

0 votes
Maria Abbatiello May 8, 2018

The new user interface is not user friendly at all. I click "see old view" every single time.

0 votes
DRFavreau April 5, 2018

That didn't turn anything off for me.  I still see the new layout for everything.

0 votes
Peter Brown March 14, 2018

Couldn't agree with you more! Custom fields don't wrap properly at all either!

0 votes
Per Albrektsen March 9, 2018

Hi Nic, what do you consider a small Jira installation? We're 50 on our system and it seems to get slower and slower. We had a 25 user selfhosted server half a year ago and made the transition mainly to easily integrate external partners and use less time for maintenance. That part has been a huge success but as so many others we're not happy with the new UI. There seems to be more clicking and combined with the latency .. the users are not too happy. We also used the feature that the boards were independent of the projects.... I'll just stop here!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2018

Ah, that's because Cloud is for small Jira installations.  Their own Jira is *not* a small  installation, they're on Server.  Which won't be getting the new UI for the foreseeable future (hopefully, at least long enough for it to be fixed or abandoned)

0 votes
Robert Hughes March 8, 2018

Wow!! 

that says it all really! 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2018

I understand that too, it's something I think of as "infrastructure reasons".

0 votes
Robert Hughes March 8, 2018

apologies sir! :) 

I have spent most of my day in that "where is.." hunt 

Its been a fun day...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

You could get a third party to run server for you if the "unable" is for hardware/infrastructure reasons.

Suggest an answer