How to turn off or revert back to old JIRA interface, the new one is horrendous for usability.

Viewing page 3 of 7

151 answers

1 vote
Randy Everill July 11, 2019

1+ year ago, when Atlassian first began rolling out this "new issue view", my company of ~50 users ran from it. We immediately switched back to the old view and ignored the changes. Well, like many of you, I realized we could not ignore the inevitable indefinitely and we had to find a way to make it usable and either get used to it (before we no longer had a choice)....or move on.

As such, around April of this year, I took an honest look at the new layout and whether I had any control over it. I discovered that I did have some control and after a few adjustments on my part I found that it's actually not a complete waste and we have largely switched to using it throughout the company now.

Is it perfect? No!!! There are missing features such as 'Share Issue' and 'Permalink'. Also, attachment names and modification dates are not easily visible. And more :-)  Atlassian clearly has more work to do and I sincerely hope they are paying attention to user comments and votes here: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/JRACLOUD/issues

That said, it sounds like some of you may be experiencing frustration mainly because your admin has not yet reviewed and cleaned up the issue layout for the new view, which is necessary and separate from the screens configuration. You will almost certainly need to clean up and order your description, primary, and secondary fields as appropriate for your situation as the defaults are not right! At least for us they were WAY off. Once you do this you may find that things are at least usable again. 

If it helps anyone and you were not aware, take a look at your:
Projects -> <Your Project> -> Project Settings -> Issue Layout.

1 vote
gianfranco franceschi July 11, 2019

If that were the case, wouldn't it be double sad from a company that uses his products to promote the Agile mindset? 

1 vote
Olivier Zacek July 11, 2019

We informed Jira that if they go through with this new UI we will leave the system.

But I very much doubt they will go back: for that, some decision-makers would have to admit that their decisions were crap, and that's never going to happen.

1 vote
Jake Hanevelt June 14, 2019

why would we pay more and move to server with a company that clearly doesn't care about its users?

1 vote
Sandra Bryant June 10, 2019

not all companies can use the server side of JIRA. Please consider rolling back this change. The functionality is giving us second thoughts to go back to TFS. 

1 vote
Kevin Altman May 23, 2019

Yep. Why is this 'new view' still not fixed? So many usability/performance issues with it.

1 vote
Tony Horton May 7, 2019

Well I have been grinning and baring it with the "new" UI (which I also think absolutely sucks),  But today I'm furious.  

Logged in to create a new ticket in our scrum and the two fields we use the most are gone.  Component (which was a madatory field) and Epic.   I had set up a custom form, and it's completely changed (By Altlasian I assume).  When I click on "where is my field (I guess they were expecting people to have problems)"  It tells me that my Kanban form doesn't have it.   It is a SCRUM not a Kanban!!!

I hope that this is just a mistake and it will be rectified without me having to go delving into the depths (which with this new UI is an absolute nightmare) and fix up what has been working well for the last three years....  

edit: well I tried to create a new task, and I can't because component is a mandatory field.  

component_required.png

This has broken our environment.   I don't even know what has been changed.  Not happy!!

Tony. 

1 vote
Alexander Vaneker April 8, 2019

The new interface is horrendous

And I do not find the option to structurally move back to the old interface anymore ... or is that just me?

JIRA nw interface.png

1 vote
Tijana Momirov April 5, 2019

I completely agree! I've been using Jira for more than 10 years, been recommending it to all of my clients, but the new UI is almost useless. I've never seen such a decline in usability. I still like and use Jira, but I certainly hope this will be solved soon. 

1 vote
Heike Broichhausen October 24, 2018

The new user interface is very bad, I hate it sooo much. I wish I could switch back to the old interface. I miss the pull down menus at the top to easy navigate to my dashboards. I HATE IT.

1 vote
Kim Hoang September 24, 2018

Hello Atlassian,

The new design SUCKS big time, and not user-friendly at all.

Please tell me how to set back the old view as default ASAP.

https://prnt.sc/ky6cx0 

With the new view, we can't copy and paste image or screenshots as before.

The only way to add screenshot is to drag and drop or upload.

With the old view, you can just copy a screenshot, then paste it directly on an issue, and the newly added screenshot will automatically rename itself such as

Screenshot-1 , 2, 3 etc.... see here https://prnt.sc/ky6dlp

The new uploading screenshot/attachment process had been deployed for a few years ago, and you got so many complaints, so you decided to pull back this release. But now why in the world you still wanted to re-implement this file/screenshot uploading process again?

1 vote
Adrian Butter September 13, 2018

Spot on.  Very silent

1 vote
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

I keep on waking up everyday hoping the new JIRA View is a bad dream but then reality steps in as I look at my inbox and all the mail from users who are to say the least are "hot under the collar" and I am again left wondering why Atallasin are bent on forcing this on us. I have read many posts on this and have yet to see anyone that likes this new UI.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

Given the Cloud's poor design, I'd say a move to server is "forward" not "backward"

1 vote
Tetiana Nevidoma August 4, 2018

Turn back old JIRA view and let people choose what they want to use

It's horrible user experience to all the clients. I cannot recommend JIRA anymore since cloud UX is terrible. Who is your UX designer guys? Let us see it... I hardly can imagine what was your focus in regards to this changes. Why? What problem did you solve ???

1 vote
Ian Main May 27, 2018

It's so bad I'm angry with how much time it's wasting me.

1 vote
Ian Main May 26, 2018

I HATE, HATE, HATE this new UI. It's SO unproductive and easy to get lost in.
I'm an Admin and I've not had one single person say they prefer it.
What the fudge are you guys playing at?
FFS - please listen to your users and revert it back or give us an option to!!!!!!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

That on/off is for a bit of a change to the issue view.  Not the whole "new" UI structure, I'm afraid.

1 vote
Jude Dixon April 4, 2018

And when you finally find the workflows the editor is completly devoid of contrast, it is really difficult to see the arrows. There is absolutely no reason to make that change, what is the point of doing it?

1 vote
Cori Drew April 2, 2018

Is it just me, or is the new "Add Task" workflow in Jira something like:

1. Click "View on Board" for story/bug
2. Click add task button at top
3. Write description
4. Click on it
5. Click on "show more"
6. Click on "Time Estimate"
7. Enter time
8. Click checkmark to save
9. Click breadcrumb to go back to add another task

Wow :(
The number of clicks in this new user experience makes me so sad.

1 vote
Steve Klebar March 24, 2018

OMG Was there not a moment of pause when someone said "How about we present our innovative new UI to a focus group for feed back? The words horrible and terrible really don't capture my feelings for the new UI. And now the 500 lb gorilla enters the room and dictates that we will use this monstrosity and like it. I guess as long as everybody continues to drink the Kool-Aid at Atlassian on Friday the idea that there was possible a mistake and value of customer feedback can be ignored. So yet another opportunity for a new upstart company to entry a market which has been dominated by a company but has ignored their customers and watch them fall from grace. I was a champion but can no longer recommend, I will start to look for a better solution for what I need. Any suggestions out there?

1 vote
Prashant Malhotra March 20, 2018

Awful UI. UI enhancements are done to enhance user experience, minimize clicks to destination. But looks like some adamant PM or Boss wanted his/her design to get out to market without researching or even consulting beta experience. I recommend JIRA for fexibility but do not recommend anymore coz of the navigational issues.

1. Searching issues (advanced query)

2. Creating filters or going to saved filters

3. Our project dashboard. Navigating from one board to another of a different project

4. It may be good for one project but when you have two or more, navigation / administration is a nightmare.

1 vote
Nicola Fraser-Liddy March 14, 2018

Totally agree with this thread, our teams are now looking at other tools so we can move away from Atlassian.  Within two clicks you get totally lost in jira and cannot navigate back to your board.  CTAs are now far removed from the object they relate to.  I've provided feedback and nothing is improving.  We are all disappointed.

1 vote
Rich Stephens March 9, 2018

We have 500+ users and are on Jira's cloud version. Our response times are generally 5-30 (yes thirty) seconds per click and what used to be 1 or 2 clicks now requires 3 or more to accomplish so we are often in a situation where it takes over a minute to navigate. Does anyone from Atlassian monitor these page? In other words, can we expect any feedback or are we just 'venting off some steam'?

1 vote
DRFavreau March 8, 2018

It's not because of hardware/infrastructure reasons.  We actually have a large high end data center that provides 24/7 services for law enforcement throughout our state.  It's because of the potential security issues and cost (personnel etc.).  As a government agency we have to watch our spending.

Suggest an answer