How to configure board location?

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Hi Dear Community Members,

how do you handle aggregated boards? I find board location very confusing and limiting.

Many times I have several projects with their own boards and I want to create separate board that will aggregate all issues from those projects. I always have dillema where to set the location of new board:

• should I create a sepparate project for that board (and if there is no need for any issues in this project disallow everyone to create issues in it) or
  • should I set the location on one of those projects?

Both of them are not perfect. First of all users want to get access to this aggregated board as easy as possible - so it should be accessible directly from every single project and not just one of them (so the later option is not ideal). I can create a shortcut to this aggtregated board (located in separate project or one of existing) on every project but that will move users away from the project they were using at the moment and in the long run make their work more difficult.

There are also another possibilities:

• creating separate aggregated boards in every one of those projects, but it seems as huge administrative overhead and also creates additional trouble to ensure sync between boards configs,
  • setting location as private doesn't seem right either, especially when this board should be used by many users.

Am I missing something? How do you handle such configurations? What do you think is the best approach to such use cases?

Piotr

5 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2021

Hi @Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ 

What is the problem you are solving by having such aggregated boards?

If this is to improve visibility to cross-project work, have you instead considered creating a dashboard using filters which span the various projects?  Please look here for more information on dashboards: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-and-edit-dashboards/

Best regards,
Bill

0 votes
Michael Areola September 2, 2021

Thanks

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Thanks for that additional information, Piotr.

If you are using Company-Managed (CMP) and Team-Managed Projects (TMP) that you want together, consider creating an independent CMP to host the aggregate board.  TMP has enough issues with field and status replication that you may need the extra CMP features to manage it, such as rolling up disparate status values between the source projects using column/status mapping.

And...You note wanting to be able to move issues/tickets on the aggregated board.  When making a shared view like this, it can help to treat it as if it is read-only, allowing the supporting teams to move work on their boards.  Otherwise the teams may become confused by movement of issues that they didn't move.

Best regards,
Bill

0 votes
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks for answer. I use aggregated board just to increase visibility into those projects. I already use dashboard functionality with some native and 3rd party gadgets but I treat it like an "almost" static space with statistics and charts. In this matter, dashboard fulfill their function. Unfortunately, it is not possible to carry out work on dashboards - I need an aggregated board where I can move tickets between statuses/columns. Such board can be easly created, for example using filter

projects in (AAA, BBB)

,but as far as I believe there is no ideal location, where I can configure it. 

Best regards,

Piotr

0 votes
Michael Areola August 2, 2021

Have you try to use JQL to identify project and then subsequently create a board? Each project should come with unique identifier like using component to map/associate issues to a project and to a board.

Suggest an answer