How to add groups to Global Permissions using Jira Server Rest API

pavansaikuramsetti8 August 13, 2021

Hi,

I'm looking at jira server api documentation https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.9.1/#api/2/permissionscheme-getPermissionScheme for a REST API to add a group to a  global permission but could not find any.

Can some one please suggest if you have any solution.

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
pavansaikuramsetti8 August 16, 2021

Hi @Brittany Wispell ,

Thank you for your reply. I'm a jira admin, so we automate creating a jira project using REST APIs whenever we get a new project creation request. We are automating almost everything and if there are some REST APIs missing we are doing that with UI automation.

Things we are doing with UI Automation is adding new context to a custom fields and adding options to that new context as we don't have a REST API to add new context to a custom field in jira server, I think we have one for jira Cloud. Please let me know if we have it for server too.

Other thing is giving a bulk issue update global permission to project administrator group of that project. Which means we add this group to bulk issue update permission.
I'm looking for an api to add a group to this permission but could not find the right one.

Please suggest more steps for this work around.

Thank you

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2021

Hey @pavansaikuramsetti8 

Out of curiosity, what is the use case for needing to add groups to the Global Permissions using the Jira Rest API? 

Adding groups outside of the defaults to the Global Permissions is not typically recommended. Also, you need to be a jira administrator in order to modify the global permissions. 

See this article on Default Jira Global Permissions 

Thanks,
Brittany

Suggest an answer