How to Create a Custom Process?

Douglas Cuffman January 27, 2018

Hi,

I'm new to JIRA as an admin.  Please bear with me.

I want to create a custom process (I'm not using the word "workflow" on purpose because it's confusing since that's a keyword in JIRA) and although I've watched several videos and read several tutorials, I can't find any resources to help me to set up the following:

"As a telephone agent, I want to take orders over the phone and record them into JIRA so that the order can be scheduled for fulfillment by another person."

Acceptance Criteria:

1. User is presented with a custom form and custom form fields that allow (s)he to ask the customer questions and fill in basic information about the service request.

2. User can reschedule the service request if the weather is bad.

3. Upon completion, the service request is set to done and requesting customer is notified.

My thought is that I need to create a custom workflow, custom screen, custom form fields, put them all in schemas and tie them all together somehow.  Yet, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the user flow.

Gripe: I'm a UX Designer by trade.  You'd think I could figure this out but it's so complex it's leaving me with a feeling of despair.  JIRA seriously needs a better UX for this sort of thing.  Perhaps a wizard would be good.  /gripe over

Thanks for your help!

DC

2 answers

0 votes
Douglas Cuffman January 28, 2018

Thank you very much!  I'll give this a try.  It looks very promising indeed!

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2018

Hi DC,

I think what you're looking for is JIRA Service Desk. This allows you to quickly design a custom form with whatever fields you need. The telephone agent will be able to fill this form as if he was the person ordering. 

This way the person ordering can get the notifications that you configure him/her to receive about the order and using the "Show transition to customer" checkbox in the workflow, you can allow the person ordering to reschedule if necessary.

I hope this gets you on the right track.

If you have more questions, let me know!

Best,

Maarten

Suggest an answer