How do you track ongoing project admin (i.e. meetings, project set-up) time in Jira?

Jennifer Mancke December 30, 2020

Hello, 
Setting up a new project and trying to get all of our project time logged into Jira.  Looking for any best practices out there. At this point, I don't particularly care to have this admin time broken out at any deeper granularity, just want to make sure we're tracking hours spent on the project.  I'm thinking through two options:

1) Setting up a general admin task (across the entire project) that the team can log time to for all internal meetings (would not be included in sprint burndown)

2) Setting up a general admin task for each sprint for the team to log time to (would estimate time be included in sprint burndown)

Any other thoughts/ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

I think all the Jira systems I've seen use one or both of those two approaches.  The question does come back to what you're trying to track, why and if it should be a sprint item.

This is one of the problems with using time as the sprint estimate - you have things to do that are overhead that are not direct deliverables and hence should not be tracked as part of a sprint.  And your managers/bean-counters generally do not understand that.  So when I work an 80 hour sprint, but only take 50 hours of stories into it and only log 50 hours, they tend not to understand.  What really happens is we log overhead elsewhere, outside the sprint, so they get to see 80 hours logged, and we have to beat it into them that 80 hours of time is not 80 hours doing the actual work.

Suggest an answer