How do you do bug-analytics?

Karsten Meier March 30, 2020

Hello Jira Fans,

We are a small development team and use Jira since two years in a kanban style, now with about 2000 issues tracked.
We now want to improve our quality and therefore want to analyze the bugs we created. I have started creating a dashboard and this is what I got now:

Quantitative Analytics

I used the "Average-Time-In-Status" and "First-Time-To-Respond" widgets to show how long we need to handle the bugs. Challenge here is: Some bugs need a long time to resolve, and these values bias the average. So I like to display a median or percentiles.
My current idea was to export the data and do the analytics somewhere outside, but I would prefer to show the results in my Jira-dashboard.
 Also we have an additional problem: some bugs stay open quite long, when they are somewhat important, but not super import, so nobody invest time to fix them, but also nobody decide to mark them as "won't-fix". These bugs bias also all statistics. How do you handle such bugs?

I also use the "Javascript-Chart" Widget to show the effort we needed, on a timeline with month. One line displays the effort in the month the bug is created, another line display he effort in the month the bug is fixed. This is a nice chart, but it was quite complex to setup.

I would like to show in a widget just the number of currently open bugs.

What do you use for quantity analytics of bugs?

Qualitative Analytics

We label the bugs like "Nullpointer" or "ForgottenRequirement". The Heatmap-Widget shows labels and their

Challenges here are:
1. What labels do I use? Does anybody knows some bug-taxonomie where we can build upon?
2. We use labels also for different purposes. I can create a custom field, but each new field makes it more difficult to use jira.

How do you do qualitative analysis of bugs?

2 answers

0 votes
Karsten Meier June 2, 2020

I have opened a number of questions here. and some I have no good solutions.
Currently I stick to use the label for the bugs.

A nice thing I found is that you can have a plugin for google sheets (and also MS Excel) to export the issues to a spreadsheet. From there you can use statistic methods beyond just average. I use a sheet for the jira data and another for displaying the graphics, so it is almost as good as a jira dashboard.

0 votes
Mohnish Reddy June 1, 2020

Did you find a solution for this ?

Same Use-case, I want to implement as well.

Thanks

Suggest an answer