How do I show Subtasks on Sprint Board?

Catherine Swanwick September 2, 2022

Our developers use the sprint board to check on their tasks and look at their workload, they do so by using the "Group by assignee" option on the board. 

In our previous project (Kanban) it was possible to have the subtasks show like tasks on the board so you can see not only your assigned tasks but subtasks on tasks that might be assigned to someone else. 

So for example if I wanted to see my work for the sprint and wanted to see a subtask assigned to me under an issue assigned to someone else I have no way of doing this. 

See examples of Kanban Layout attached, this is what we are trying to do in the Sprint Board. 

I have looked at the existing threads and I know that you can "Group by Subtask" but this only lets me see a team view of open subtasks not a personal view. 

Our subtasks are assigned to the sprint and everything is mapped correctly. 

There appears to be no way to edit the filter query. It is a team managed project. 

Jira Example 1 .pngScreenshot 2022-09-02 at 12.40.41.png

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Ah, sorry, I didn't clock the team-managed project earlier, although you certainly gave me enough information to see it in your original question.

My answer is only for CMPs, as you say.

Swimlanes in TMPs are done with the "group by" option you've mentioned, and only one of them enables a view of sub-tasks on the board - group by sub-task (which turns your issues into swimlanes, with sub-tasks being cards within each one)

CMPs are heavier to set up than TMPs, but they're more powerful, flexible and suited for cross-team working.  They also reduce the admin burden on the team, because the team can only configure a handful of things about them.

0 votes

Ok thanks Nic! I will have a look and do some testing with the CPM so. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

Hi @Catherine Swanwick  - Were you able to get this sorted out? If so, what was your final solution? 

0 votes

So I believe that because it is a team managed project there are limited settings for the board, for example I can not find a way to edit the filter or the swimlane settings other than just the status' in the swimlanes. 

There is the possibility to use a Company managed software but I am conscious of the setup being much heavier and the maintenance being higher for the team. 
Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 14.37.35.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Change your swimlane setting to anything other than "stories" and your sub-tasks will be displayed.

Suggest an answer