How can I integrate Jira Cloud with a customer portal?

Heather Brown May 11, 2021

My team is small. Everyone does everything. I don't necessarily need a layer of abstraction between my "engineers" and my "support team" because they are the same people! I want to create a customer portal to enable better communications with my customer, but using Jira and JSM doesn't seem to meet my needs.

Has anyone had success with using Jira's ecosystem to create an environment that works for teams that do everything?

8 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Automation should be able to do a lot for you. One of my teams is using JSM for as an intake, and once they decide to work on it they move it to Approved. This will trigger an automation that copies information from the request and creates a story in their internal project.

0 votes
Heather Brown June 11, 2021

Ok, so for JSM can you point me to something that makes it easy to integrate it with Jira Cloud. I haven't found any documentation that makes it simple. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

I would also suggest Jira Work Management as a lighter version to get started. Currently you can only do one form per project though and you can only have one Issue Type in the workflow for the board to work properly - but there are ways around that. 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2021

They can, but it requires that they have access to your Jira instance and will count towards your license. It is only JSM that allows non-licensed users to submit requests.

0 votes
Heather Brown June 10, 2021

Jira Work Management looks cool. I will take a look, but do you happen to know if it allows the intake form to work with external customers? 

0 votes
Heather Brown June 10, 2021

From my research, I haven't seen a simple way to use JSM with Jira cloud. It gets too confusing to have the team have to manage two sets of tickets, one in JSM, and the other in Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

The portal will only show JSM projects, you would need to use Refined for Jira Cloud in order to be able to also show non JSM projects on it.

Atlassian just released Jira Work Management that might suite you better, since it allows you to create a simple intake form and then have both your team work out of the same project.

If you need to have multiple intake forms, you could create an automation that would transfer the request from JSM to your engineering project, either right away or after some actions are taken by the support team

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

Hi Heather,

Can you elaborate on how JSM is not meeting your need? 

Suggest an answer