Gantt Chart : MS Project V/S WBS Gantt Chart

Simranjit Singh April 21, 2020

I would like to know, which is best tool for Gantt Chart is MS Project or WBS Gantt Chart.

As I tried both the tools for assessment. But I feel MS Project is more easy and useful tool as compare to WBS Gantt Chart.

Could you please share your feedback and review on this.

2 answers

1 vote
lececere April 22, 2020

Hi @Simranjit Singh ,

We use WBS Gantt Chart and really enjoy the fact that our project plan is in Jira along with the rest of our project information. So everything is in one place and anyone can look at the project plan at any point in time.

We have seen our project managers struggle a bit with the WBS Gantt and I believe it is primarily for 2 reasons. The first is that unlike MS Project, it doesn't warn you when you move one dependency away from another like MS Project that asks if you want to break the link, and it very strictly enforces those dependencies. It seems that many of our PMs don't even tend to use the visual side of MS project and so often don't notice the dependencies in the WBS Gantt Chart.

The 2nd reason is that there is no good way to undo. PMs like to try a few things to see how it will impact the go-live date, and that is difficult to do with WBS Gantt.

There is one set of functionality that isn't working great and is low on the priority for the WBS Gantt folks. If you turn on the functionality to mark the progress or percent complete to 100% when the workflow is marked as Done, the gantt will not update the parent item % complete. Please vote for improvement of this functionality here: https://ricksoft-support.atlassian.net/browse/WGCPT-209

That said, we continue to use WBS Gantt for the primary reason that it keeps all of our project information in one place and we can do reporting on projects and across the porfolio.

Hope this helps!
Laurie

0 votes
Simranjit Singh April 22, 2020

@lececere Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events