Forecasting in Jira using Scrum

Paul June 15, 2018

I'm a Scrum Master leading a software and infrastructure team to completion for a data, web service and UI project. We are about half way through the project. Currently the project is lacking enough backlog stories to accurately predict what the team is able to deliver in 6 months or even 3 months.  I set up Jira with three new version names but our release to production is realistically at least 6 months away. 

Our stakeholders would like to get a reasonable forecast based on their original scope document which we are working from to create more user stories. Besides the obvious of creating a ton of more user stories... 

My question is what else can I do in Jira to reflect the current situation as well as best guess forecast?   

5 answers

1 vote
Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2018

Welcome to the community @Paul!

There is a nice article from Atlassian about metrics on their 'Agile Coach' site:
Five agile metrics you won't hate

It provides insight on how to use the Jira reports for Agile planning and tracking.

The documentation provides details on reporting in Jira Software.

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2023

Hi @Paul

You can do this with our Great Gadgets app for Jira & Confluence. It offers a Release Burndown Burnup chart that can generated the forecast based on current progress/velocity.

image.png

The app offers many other useful gadgets, for agile especially. 

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact support@stonikbyte.com.

Danut. 

0 votes
Chris Wise June 13, 2021

TeamHealth does a great job at forecasting your backlog. Try it out for free here TeamHealth - Forecast your backlog 

0 votes
Becky December 27, 2019

Thank you for referring Dragonboat @Daniela Vallo Dragonboat has a free Jira plug in between Dragonboat and Jira. 

@Paul

If the project has multiple teams and have large scope (3 month+) you may want to break them down to epics (aka roadmap milestones), and then break epics further down to stories along the way. 

You can use fuzzy timeline together with iterative planning to forecast timeline for larger projects. Dragonboat is a great portfolio and roadmap tool complimentary to the Jira scrum board for your long + short term planning and forecasting needs.

Suggest an answer