End user/customer feedback emails making their way into Jira

neilbailey February 16, 2020

Hi,  I want to do the following- can anyone tell me whether it's possible:

Enable customers (I don't know who these people are) to email a feedback email address, and it appear in Jira as a ticket with their email address somehow attached to a unique ticket.

For the avoidance of doubt, these people don't and shouldn't have an account.

It sounds like a fairly simple operation.  But having read the docs it seemed non-obvious to say the least.

A bonus would be for them to email an address that doesn't reference jira or atlassian.

If anyone does know, please spell it out to me in the simplest of terms.

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

3 answers

0 votes
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2020

Hey @neilbailey 

Sorry for the confusion, I misread the software tag! Here is a link to an article about configuring a mail handler. That is how you would set up tickets being created via mail. It also goes over how to create issues from users without an account.

Hopefully that helps!

0 votes
neilbailey February 17, 2020

Thanks, for the response.  The link is aligned to service desk which I don't have.  I don;t really need any effort,cost or overhead of service desk right now - at least I don't think I do.  I don't see any email setting under my Jira software project settings.

Is no email access possible without service desk?

Ta, N

0 votes
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2020

Hey @neilbailey 

The concept of emailing a ticket in is possible however, having a user without an account email in while saving the users email is not possible.

If a user without an account emails into a portal that allows anyone to submit a request, it will accept the ticket, and log their email as the reporter. At the same time it also creates a customer account for the user.

In regards to the custom email that doesn't reference Jira or Atlassian. When you are in the Email Request section in Project Settings, there is an option to set up a custom email account. This does require you already have a 3rd party email from GSuite, outlook, etc.

Here is an article that goes over the process.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/add-an-email-account/

Suggest an answer