Enable Advanced Roadmap Features?

bmannin1@amfam.com August 2, 2019

I stumbled upon "Advanced Roadmap Features" but I can't figure out a way to enable them in Jira. I already have next-gen projects and am using roadmaps, but I can't find how to enable the features outlined in the article below (for example creating and visualizing dependencies)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/premium-roadmap-features-968680505.html

53 answers

10 votes
Mikko Badua May 12, 2020

Hmm...so advanced roadmaps won't work on Next-Gen projects? Why is it even called Next-Gen if we're adding "advanced" roadmap features to legacy/classic projects?! I just spent the time and effort to get everyone moved over to next-gen because it was supposedly the future. Appreciate it if you guys can clearly articulate the strategy & vision for your own product lines. It's VERY frustrating to try and figure out which one of your products is the flavor of the month. @Josh Frank Is Adv Roadmaps Next-Gen a 2020 feature? Or 2021?

5 votes
Eric Johnson June 8, 2020

I would also like to express how confused and annoyed I am that "next-gen" projects are not necessarily receiving all new features. I think it was a really poor decision to use this nomenclature because as a user, I do not understand how I am supposed to infer from the terms "next-gen" vs "classic" that one is simplistic feature set while the other is a complex feature set. This is absolutely not clear from this and it is causing us to recreate multiple projects just so we can take advantage of advanced roadmaps. None of this work was necessary if the understanding of what features are scoped for a simple project vs a complex one.

4 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

I believe those features are part of Jira Software Premium, which is still in Early Access only, but you can join a waitlist here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/premium

3 votes
Pat October 26, 2020

I just read this thread and the announcement here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Introducing-Advanced-Roadmaps/ba-p/1378497

I get that there are probably under-the-hood reasons in the software that the Advanced Roadmaps rolled out this way - but wow! You took a feature that customers first saw for 18 months and got excited about on NextGen projects, then developed an advanced version of it and rolled it out (along with the original basic version) in Classic projects - without even a timeline for when the users who were originally excited about it and asked for it can get it for their projects?

I mean, my bad for not learning this first, but I just had my company start a trial of Premium just so we could try Advanced Roadmaps on our NextGen projects. We want that better project planning capability in our Kanban Roadmaps!

When will that happen? It's been another week+ since the last post saying there isn't a timeline.

2 votes
Refael Raz November 2, 2020

I used 10 minutes of the Premium trial to find out that all of my projects aren't being supported. 

I actually found out that fact only by this forum because there isn't any indication to that that this feature isn't being supported

Anyway, without a timeline, the Premium doesn't give much value to us

2 votes
Benjamin October 14, 2020

@Josh Frank can you clarify this? Seems that many people (including me) are waiting for Advanced Roadmap being available for Next Gen projects.

Unfortunately when It will take a longer time from now we need to make some other strategy business decisions in order to keep our processes optimized and continued.

Hope you can inform us all about the current progress/time line. 

(Although we like to hear that it will be available soon, no is also an answer)

thanks!

2 votes
Thomas Fou September 10, 2020

Atlassian: any updates on when Advanced Roadmap will be available with Next-gen?  

Is there a third-party add-on that provides similar features on next-gen you can recommend until that is available? 

2 votes
Reginald Mullin July 30, 2020

I second this 100%. I'm only now realizing that next-gen is actually just a simple project and that I should've chosen a classic project to get more functionality. That wasn't clear to me beforehand.

2 votes
Greg Jankowski May 5, 2020

@Josh Frank Thanks for the reply. 

Really unfortunate that this feature is not for Next-Gen.

2 votes
Greg Jankowski April 2, 2020

Will advanced roadmaps work with NextGen projects?

And I don't see a waitlist for advanced roadmap access once I sign up.
Where do I sign up for early access?

1 vote
Henri Seymour _Easy Agile_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 2, 2020

Hi @NIROSHAN MADAMPITIGE 

Thanks for the feedback on Easy Agile Roadmaps! We're glad we can provide a valuable alternative to Advanced Roadmaps for you and your teams. 

Kind regards, 
Stephanie Seymour | Easy Agile 

1 vote
NIROSHAN MADAMPITIGE November 2, 2020

I agree that investing for premium just for road-mapping is not worth enough - Perhaps, if you have a strategic plan why you migrate, go for it. If your goal is to use road-map, there a quite a few good alternatives. I have done quite significant study on road-maps and finally settled with EasyAgile Road-maps - It's extremely cheap and reliable - try that. 

1 vote
Gary Samson October 9, 2020

Nope, it doesn't work with next gen project boards. I'm only using next gen, so not at all useful. 

1 vote
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2020

@Brian Robison All the Advanced Roadmaps features are available in the plans dropdown in your top navigation. Hope that helps! 

1 vote
Deleted user August 3, 2020

Very true... "next-gen" = less futures, doesn't seem very "next generation". Next-generation suggest to take "the previous generation" and make it better, not worst or without essential futures, and what is even worst, to promise some development/futures and then drop it without clearly communicating so... bad atlassian! bad!

1 vote
Mario July 16, 2020

Agreed, I should have been Jira Advanced vs Jira Simple not Jira Classic vs Jira Next Gen. we have been trough the whole migration process to next-gen as well..

1 vote
Ferenc Nagy [Midori] May 19, 2020

It's available now in Jira Software Premium, for classic projects:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Introducing-Advanced-Roadmaps/ba-p/1378497

1 vote
Elvin Badalov May 13, 2020

@Josh Frank to clarify, Advanced Roadmap is arriving sooner than the basic in Classic Projects, correct?  Because you indicated it was coming in the next couple weeks above. Thank you. 

1 vote
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2020

Hi @Elvin Badalov You're correct that currently the basic roadmap is only available on next-gen projects. We have that same roadmap coming to classic projects in the next couple months (although we can't comment on the exact date when that will come). 

1 vote
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
May 12, 2020

@Mikko BaduaThanks for the feedback and sorry for any confusion. One thing to clarify is that classic projects is not a legacy project type. Next-gen is great for team autonomy and ease of use whereas classic is great for managing scale and additional control. Given Advanced Roadmaps is all about helping teams collaborate across multiple projects and teams, in some ways it's a more natural fit for classic projects to start with. That said, we are exploring how Advanced Roadmaps can support next-gen projects as well (although we can't comment on a specific timeline at this point). 

1 vote
Max May 8, 2020

"next couple weeks" is good enough. Thanks Josh. -- Can I bribe the PO to get it up the backlog? ;)

1 vote
Piers MacDonald November 20, 2019

Is that a joke?

Premium which costs twice as much gets you roadmaps and 99.9% uptime?

A feature that's already available and up time.....pay twice as much and it'll work.

1 vote
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2019

@Sharon Helmsis correct you need to join wait-list to get these features.

0 votes
Tara L Conklin December 7, 2021

Ugh. then something on our side isn't configured correctly because when I upgraded Jira, the subscription does show we are in our 30-day premium trial window but 'plans' does not show up on our nav bar. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 1.49.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 1.42.06 PM.png

0 votes
Sabrina Beach December 7, 2021

@Tara L Conklin Hi!  This is a horrible UI issue....Advanced Roadmaps are found in the top level navigation under "Plans."  Why Atlassian calls it two different things is frustrating, at best.

There was nothing I needed to enable.

Suggest an answer