Discrepancy between Σ columns for Time Spent between Issue Navigator and Issue Search

Seth Hickel March 16, 2018

A search for a specific issue with columns of Σ Original Estimate, Σ Remaining Estimate and Σ Time Spent will show Time Spent that is different from a manuall summation of the Σ Time Spent collumn in issue navigator for the same issue.

As an example for TEAMA-1234 the Σ Time Spent 175.5 hours but if I manually sum all rows in Issue Navigator the same TEAMA-1234 issue in the column Σ Time Spent  the total is 125.5.  This occurs for most of my issues I am trying to report on.

What I am trying to do is provide information to my team comparing estimated level of effort (Points) to Original Estimate to Time Spent for all tasks by issue by sprint.

I'm curious to know why my totals would be different using the Σ columns in different views. It is wreaking havoc on my reporting!  ☺

5 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2018

Ok, that's good, because it means you can check what Jira is doing by adding them up and looking for the discrepancies.  If you're missing sub-tasks on the display, you can't do that because you do not have all the information you need.

Imagine this scenario:

• ABC-123 - Story, 4 hour time spent
  • ABC-150 - sub-task of 123, 3 hour time spent
  • ABC-155 - sub-task of 123, 2 hour time spent
  • ABC-156 - sub-task of 123, 1 hour time spent

You should see:

• ABC-123: time spent: 4h , Σ time spent: 10h
  • ABC-150: time spent: 3h , Σ time spent: 3h
  • ABC-155: time spent: 2h , Σ time spent: 2h
  • ABC-156: time spent: 1h , Σ time spent: 1h

If that pattern is not what you see on the display, could you explain what you are seeing?

0 votes
Seth Hickel March 19, 2018

Let me clarify what you are describing.  Please correct if I am incorrect in your meaning.

Issue Navigator Count Value = (?) from issue navigator manually sum all the time Spent

Manual Count Value = (?) Go to the actual task and look at lime logged

Direct Entry on the Parent = I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you meaning the Σ (?)

Are you suggesting that I do a Σ of all Manual Count Value to see if this equals the column Σ Time Spent on the issue navigator?

0 votes
Seth Hickel March 19, 2018

Yes

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2018

Are all the sub-tasks of the parent issues shown in the issue navigator when you run a filter to add up?

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

@Seth Hickel , i would suggest you to look at the direct estimates/time spent logged on the parent ticket and see whether the difference is from that..

i mean , Issue navigator count value - manual count value = direct entry on the parent ticket?

Suggest an answer