We've discovered a likely bug. The symptoms were that a number of our users were making edits (renaming the Sub-task's Summary) but finding that the parent issue was being renamed instead.
The steps are:
This happened on Chrome in both Windows and Mac. I've instructed our team to not use the Detail view or to at least not initiate edits from the Detail view. Also, it may be worse than just renaming - it may be that an attempt to delete a Sub-task may actually trigger the deletion of its parent.
The screenshot below is some evidence of the issue. Notice there is some discrepancy in the UI about which issue is highlighted. A Sub-task, 710, is selected and shown in the url. The properties (Summary) of the Sub-task are shown. But the Story (parent) issue 609 is linked twice, once as a parent and again as its own Sub-task - this is strange.
This is the clue we used to guess that Jira was applying edits to the parent, not the Sub-task we thought was selected.
Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events