Deleting Stories; Recovering Deleted Stories

kaia meier July 23, 2018

I think it would be beneficial to be able to delete stories, but still be able to view them somewhere - not in the project, but in a Deleted Items project or something. 

Or at least have information on which user deleted the story and when. 

I have looked for a story that was recently worked on and it is gone.  Deleted.  I have no idea who deleted it or when, but now I cannot refer to the information that was in the story in order to confirm the changes that were done.  It's kind of a bad situation.  When I looked to see how to recover deleted items, it is very cumbersome and probably not something we can do.  

3 answers

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

I was looking at what was new on the Marketplace and found this app, Who deleted my issues that might work for you if you are on Server. I would also look into changing your permission scheme so only a few users can delete issues.

0 votes
kaia meier July 23, 2018

I understand that.  I didn't delete the item.  I went to view it and it had been deleted.  So, since it can happen that a person accidentally deleted an item, it would be better if they would not be permanently deleted, but could be retained somewhere to view and if at the very least there would be information on who deleted it and when.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Hi Kaia,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Recommended best practice is to never delete content out of an Agile database, because you want to to capture the metrics of what work you thought you needed at the beginning, vs what was actually done, and what things got retired out of the backlog. You can do that by adding a status that indicate that your story has been deleted (we use Retired as the status in our projects), or as you mentioned, use a separate project that you move "deleted" items to.

Suggest an answer