Curious for thoughts on the system changes captured (and not captured) by the Audit Log

Russell Zera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

So here is the message that is the foundation of this discussion:

"The audit log is intended to record configuration changes that can impact users and projects."

So when you look at the table in the documentation right above where that is written, it describes that no events are recorded for Screen Changes (using as a specific example). To me, I believe that screen changes by an administrator could absolutely be classified as something that can impact users and projects, especially as you try to roll out shared configurations and enterprise configuration management. Changing what fields are or are not on a screen (especially if that screen has impact on something like regulatory compliance) can cause a company to unknowingly fall into non-compliance because a particular critical piece of information was unknowingly not being captured.

Curious to know thoughts on this from others if perhaps I'm placing too much emphasis on this, but I would love to know if a field gets removed from a screen, when it happened, and which admin made the change, so that I know how far back I need to go to correct tickets, and which administrator may need some reminding on tracking configuration management changes so people are informed before or near-real-time of the change, rather than happening to notice a field is no longer there on the screen.

2 comments

Comment

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

I wouldn't mind more data, but along with it I'd like some preset filters to deal with the additional data.

Mark Wheeler April 13, 2021

Is there some documentation on what's in and not in the audit?

Is there a backlog item to get all configuration, both project and system, into the audit log?

I've recently had a Issue Link type added to my system ("Blocks").  I removed it and it's reappeared.  It would be marvellous to have see who or what is changing my system and when it's happening.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events