Creating Triggered Notifications

Mel Brooker December 4, 2018

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help.

I have the Dev QA workflow set up for all of my projects. I need a notification setting up for when a ticket comes in from Jira Service Desk as a To Do. 

Ive been advised to do this

See Advanced workflow configuration - for more details. I would suggest for you to add a post function to *Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners. 

I cannot figure out how to do this even with the link. We are using the Cloud version of Jira. 

2 answers

0 votes
Mel Brooker December 5, 2018

Thank you Rachel. I have moved the Service Desk back to the Builds Workflow as a fix. I will have a look at this shortly.  Thank you!

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2018

Hi @Mel Brooker,

Here are my instructions for creating a custom notification.  The use case is a little different (notify QA that an issue is ready for testing) but you'll get the idea.

Adding a custom notification is a three step process.  In the example below, let’s add a custom notification called “Ready for Verification” in three steps.

First, create a new event, on the System > Events admin page, and select the “Generic” template.  The new event is now be available for use in a Notification Scheme.

new-event.pngSecond, add users, roles, or groups to the new event in the associated Notification Scheme.

new-notification.png

Third, add a post transition, in the associated Workflow, to trigger the event notification.

new-verification-event-768x282.pngBut, with all that said, emails are so 1990!  ;)  Don't you get enough Jira email spam already? 

Why not just teach your users how to query for issues that matter to them?  You could also create a dashboard for them that shows all the relevant issues.  

Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Suggest an answer