Capacity Planning in Jira

Mayuresh Athalekar July 30, 2021

I want to reflect capacity planning for the scrum team in Jira to understand their occupancy in a sprint.

We have to align a task based estimation in hours (i agree some of members may disagree and i too have my reservations for this) but considering a organization direction, this is a need of the hour. 

When team does the estimation of a story and spilt them in tasks in hrs consolidated sum of these tasks need to reflect in a report or view where i will be able to see how much team is considering in a particular sprint. Can i enter available capacity in Jira vs how much they are occupied when done with sprint planning ?

4 answers

0 votes
Mayuresh Athalekar December 14, 2021

Some good comments about customized app developed by fellow members. However my company doesnt allow 3rd party app installation on company data center due to policies that we follow. Since this is a very standard practice to plan capacity, atlassian can proactively include this requirement as part of Jira offering ! 

0 votes
Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 4, 2021

Hello @mayuresh athalekar 

I am Ostap from Reliex.

Feel free to take a look at our ActivityTimeline app for Jira, it allows you to see the capacity of each resource & team as a whole at any given point.

Also, you can use reports to understand the utilization of different resources: in a particular project, epic, or in general.

We support estimation in hours, story points or internal estimates in hours/day format. 

This also comes with bundled time tracking solution, so you can then track where the time is getting spent & compare planned vs actuals.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @mayuresh athalekar

adding to the information from Alexander I remember an additional discussion on Capacity Planning from the last days.
In case it is useful for you to hear the Apps that have been discusses please kindly refer to that thread also:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-discussions/Alternative-to-Rally-for-capacity-planning-in-JIRA/td-p/1763203

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2021

you can use some time planning or gantt addons of the marketplace.

some of them are free, some ar paid.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Suggest an answer