Can't add Start/Due Date to issue detail view

Marike Reimer October 28, 2020

I would like to add start and due dates to the issue detail view. 

Following the instructions here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-sub-tasks/

I get the following error:

The following fields are invalid: Start date, Due date

This is similar to this thread and I was able to add the resolution field, so the basic functionality works.    https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Subtask-details-on-the-issue-screen/qaq-p/11900

The Start and Due Dates should show up on the detail view where the arrow is pointing:Capture.PNG

5 answers

2 votes
Konstantin Nazarov October 28, 2020

You did not say in what kind of projects you are going to use the Start-Due field, but I do not see such a field for the issue level of story, task and subtask in a new generation Scrum project. (Your link leads to the issue - subtask settings). I admit that for different types of projects, different fields are available for the issue. However, to set the date and time, I do not use available Date field, but a Time stamp field. This field also specifies the date.

Now, especially for you, I checked how my Date field is displayed. Everything is displayed.

Perhaps you could not include it in your task? If so, then the field is introduced by the drg-and-drop method. The field is placed among other fields, and the form must be saved (button at the bottom). I think it was not your problem, but if one of the readers has it, then otvet will help him.

If we are talking about date-related fields that are filled in automatically, then there is no such initial data for subtask in the project, and, for example, in Scrum, the date is specified in the Daily Scrum.

At the same time, the Start date and End date fields are set for the Sprint. They are set as Time stamp fields with date. End Date - calculated from the length of the sprint. The number of days until the end of a sprint is displayed on the Board tab for each STARTED sprint. As for the time in the task, for Scrum it is the commitment of the performer, in his understanding of how long it will take him, and not the time assigned by the project manager. So for myself, I see the functionality of Jira with a Date and Time stamp field in the tasks sufficient.

I hope I helped you in solving your problem, @Marike Reimer. Konstantin._20201028_170623.JPG

1 vote
jesse.griffith October 28, 2020

I thought this was only possible on Epics.

0 votes
Konstantin Nazarov October 28, 2020

@Marike Reimer 

See what story...

1. I didn't like the subtasks in Jira, and I almost completely banned them in my regulament. Allowed only for self-clarification of subtasks by the executor. I wrote in another comment, in another branch of the discourse, what I did not like about them, here I just gave my opinion.
  2. In Jiha there are dashboards for your purpose. In theory, they should work and show any date. The dashboard that should solve your problem is on the screen. The problem is that in my new generation Scrum project, it does not see my tasks in “in progress”. It doesn't see "In progress" at all in my project. If you have a different type of project, try it, it suddenly works. There, the issue and the fields for display are selected.
  3. Also, for your project, the calendar management issue may be available, the calendar did not understand my new Gen Scrum project, but it was displayed. It did not appear in the menu, and it appeared blank...

But judging by the description, this should work in some projects

https://wiki.teamlead.ru/doc/cal_cloud/user-guide/add-issues-to-calendar

Tell us later what you did. It will be helpful.

---------

some problem with attaching the screenshot. At now I don't see it in my comment. App on the dashboard is called "issues in progress"

0 votes

We are a research group, so the agile principles which guide software development are not well suited for our work.  The Start and Due Date fields are configured correctly for subtasks, however we need to display them on the parent issue.

These instructions from the first link look like they should fix the issue, but don't:

How to choose which sub-task fields display on parent issues
You can define which sub-task issue fields are displayed in the sub-tasks section of a parent issue.

1. Choose > System
  2. Click General configuration > Advanced settings.
  3. For the jira.table.cols.subtasks property key, edit the field values. Note that the summary field is a mandatory value and that fields will appear on parent issues in the same order you list them. Please refer to API documentation - Constant Field Values to see all constant field options.
  4. Click Update.

I would like to understand why the instructions fail for Start and Due Dates and if any work arounds exist.

0 votes

I don't know of any way to display subtask level details on Epics, but you can change them on the parent issue following the instructions on the first link.

Suggest an answer