Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can't Start JIRA service

Hi Experts,

i face a strange issue while starting JIRA service as service isn't restart and no logs being created noting that gc logs are generated while trying to restart in JIRA installation logs 

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.202-b08) for linux-amd64 JRE (1.8.0_202-b08), built on Jan 22 2019 13:35:07 by "jenkins" with gcc 4.8.2 20140120 (Red Hat 4.8.2-15)
Memory: 4k page, physical 12137964k(5554416k free), swap 4194300k(4193276k free)
CommandLine flags: -XX:GCLogFileSize=20971520 -XX:InitialCodeCacheSize=33554432 -XX:InitialHeapSize=6144 -XX:MaxHeapSize=6144 -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -XX:+PrintGC -XX:+PrintGCCause -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=536870912 -XX:+UseCompressedClassPointers -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:+UseParallelGC

your help is much appreciated.

2 comments

That's just telling you some of the settings.

I assume that "as service isn't restart" means that "when running as a service, it tries to do something, but fails"?   You'll want to look at several things:

What does the service startup tell you the problem is?  (I don't know what service system you are using here, so I can't give the instructions on where to look further into this)

Can you start it manually?  I mean cd <jira install>/bin and run start-jira.sh (remembering to do that as the Jira user, not yourself or root)?

If Jira fails on the manual run, it might flat out tell you on the console, but if not, then check <jira home>/logs/atlassian-jira.log to see what is failing (if no logs there, then also see <jira install>/log/catalina.out for the Tomcat logs - that may be failing to start the application)

If it works on the manual run, then you'll need to be debugging the service startup

I'm also facing same problem., I also tried Nic Brough solution., but unable to find any solution., Kindly help me in this regard. Thanks

My "solution" was "get more information", not a fix.

What did trying my "solution" tell you was the problem?

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

34 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you